Since everybody is too busy arguing about the apolo dq...?

melanieb1985

Apr 22, 2008
What about the relay? Seems like nobody wants to talk about that. Some people say that we (canada) cheated in the 500m. But what about the relay? Are those people thinking that we cheated too?

For other people who actually know about the sport, are you happy with the results? I sure am. Didn't think we would get a medal as we weren't very successful medal wise since the beginning of the olympics in short track speed skating. I am very proud of our men for winning gold. :)
Edit for Will - I'm sorry to spoil it for you. How can I know that you haven't watch it? It is now 2 am on the east coast and the event happened 3 hours ago...
Jay - There were 4 judges. Why some of you act like this is a 1 judge thing? There were 4 judges who agreed on their decision to dq Ohno. Hamelin didn't even do anything. The korean felt by himself. Even his coach agrees to this. There was no bias. If anyone think there was, they should complain to the IOC.

I thought the relay was awesome and strategically great.

I honestly thought it was the Koreans to lose as they have been dominant in distance races

BUT, what the Canadians did and you may or may not have notices was with about 8 laps to go, they went from exchanging every 1.5 laps (which is normal) to every 2 laps....which threw off all the other teams (Korea actually missed an exchange because of this).

very impressed and proud of the guys as well!!

Again thank you for spoiling it for those of us who haven't seen that event yet.

I don't think Canada is cheating at all.

I remember during the Beijing Olympics when some "questionable" results came out in favor of China, but the Chinese are not the ones who produced those results. They say that sometimes judges subconsciously let the energy from the crowds affect their scores a little.

Naturally, people are thinking about it this year! A lot of people seem to think scores for the bronze medal figure skater from Canada were higher than deserved. Were they? It's difficult to say. Her performance was NOT its best; that is true, but was it bad enough or was the competition good enough that the scores are questionable? Obviously, no one has an answer, but there is ALWAYS controversy!!

Personally, I think the judges who DQed South Korea yesterday were wrong. That just looked fishy to me and I don't agree with the call.

I didn't see tonight's events, so I can't comment, but I hope no one blames CANADA for these. Bad calls are the faults of the judges, not the host nation! (and once again, I'm not saying that it was necessarily a bad call)

I was sure Canada was going to medal in 500m and Relay because thats their best short track event. In the others theyre not so hot, theyre good at the speed based ones besides the pass skill ones. Props to Canada, it wasn't USAs night (but I still say Apolo's DQ wasn't that good of a call--and no i'm not blaming it on refs being biased).

Back