While reading Joystiq last night I noticed that the CEO of Spark Unlimited (the company responsible for Turning Point: Fall of Liberty) has come out in defence of TP:FoL stating that it is not being reviewed correctly by game critics.
You know, I think that when you try to do games that are about a mass market, and Turning Point is definitely a high concept idea, that with the time and money we had we did the best to execute on, our target was not really the core gamer
If people look at it in the right way, I think they really enjoy what they see. You can certainly look at it and say it’s not revolutionary, so those opinions are certainly a lot more critical
Not wanting to speak for every game reviewer in the world, for myself and the other Geekpulp writers we review games based on how fun they are and whether or not we enjoy our experience as opposed to technical advances created by a title which although praise worthy do not create a great game alone.
Why do producers now try and hit back when people do not enjoy their games? Trying to say that a game should be reviewed differently because it is a “high concept idea” reeks of belittling gamers for not appreciating what they tried to create. They failed to make something that I enjoyed playing full stop. The Demo was by far one of the most disspointing I have tried in a long time. If a FPS is not made for core gamers then what is?
Interview details from Videogamer.com
</img>

</img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img>