Â*
You know that I love old cookbooks.Â*Â* They don’t depend on prepackaged things, or microwaves…Just brilliant ideas, and lots of good ingredients.
Now, I don’t know how you feel about bran muffins.Â* Some people love them ad some hate them.Â* I love them.Â* At least these.Â* You can put raisins in them, or figs, or dried cranberries…toss in pecans, walnuts, macadamias, or a handful of hickory nuts if you are lucky enough to be able to get them.Â* Change the spices, add orange peel…seriously versatile breakfast food.
These are especially way cool.Â* Why? Because the batter will be perfect for FOUR WEEKS in your fridge.Â* That means that you can scoop the batter into the muffin cups, throw in the oven, go put your makeup on and come back to a healthy, and delicious breakfast, no matter what your schedule is.
When most people think of OAMC, or Once a month cooking,t hey think of freezer meals and dinners.Â* In our society I think breakfasts are as difficult to do as dinner. I mean, cold cereal and milk ?Â* Do anyone’s kids really eat just a 3/4 c serving size? Because mine do not.Â* It takes several bowls for them to feel like they have eaten and by nine or ten they are ready to eat again.

Not so with these muffins.Â* A couple of them nestled next to some fresh eggs, a dollop of lemon curd to enhance the flavor…well the kids are happy.
Please don’t forget about the contest I am running this month.Â* I mean, who would not want a cool Paris Sweets cookbook by Dorrie Greenspan?
AllÂ* Content on this page (c) Marye Audet 2008, for B5 media.Â* This page is published at http://bakingdelights.com Â*Â* Baking Delights
Bran MuffinsÂ*
4 cups bran
2 c All Bran cereal
1 tsp salt
2 c boiling water
1 quart buttermilk1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1 c unsalted butter
4 eggs
5 c flour
5 tsp baking soda
Combine bran, cereal and salt.Â* Add buttermilk and water.Â* Allow to cool to lukewarm.

Cream sugars, and butter. Add eggs, one at a time.Â* Stir into bran.Â* Stir together (or sift) dry ingredients. Â*Â*Â*Â* Add to bran mixture and stir to moisten.Â*Â*Â* Batter will keep,covered, in the fridge for FOUR weeks! I add the nuts and other optional ingredients when I bake the muffins, not to the original batter.
When ready to bake preheat oven to 375.Â* Scoop batter into silpat or paper lined muffin cups, sprinkle with raw sugar crystals if desired,Â* and bake for 20 minutes.
Makes a total of about 4 dozen
Tags: bran muffin recipes, easy bran muffins, make ahead breakfast breads, simple breakfast recipesShare This
</img>
</img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img>
</img>