Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How did Qwest catch wind of me torrenting?

An obvious answer, they're my ISP, however, there must be millions of people torrenting. I torrented 4 things, an album, 2 movies and some password for a game. My friend on the other hand, probably downloads atleast 1 gig a day and has been doing so for the past...8 months? has yet to be warned.

Basically the disabled my internet and I called to ask whats up. They warned me and told me to delete the files and they'd restore it. Why did they catch me so quickly? We both have qwest highspeed and he lives like 10 minutes away.

BUT! when I tried to use the password for the website, I got a message that was like, warning. your account has been suspended for sharing. your IP has been recorded and sent to your ISP. could that have been it?

-
    Also, I just have some other questions about torrenting.

If I go to starbucks to torrent a quick album or something will starbucks ISP find out about it and then be able to somehow link the signal to my computer and find me?

When your seeding, can qwest see that?

If I torrent on my ipod in school, can my school pick up on that and find the signal it's coming from and link that to me somehow? (ipod touch torrentula or something)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The password could have been what done it, but I kinda doubt it. You need to run peerblock while torrenting. I bet that's what happened

unless your computer is named after you ( like your name is John smith so you named it "John smiths computer) they probably won't find you out IF no one notices you downloading stuff for like an hour.

Yes, qwest can see you when your seeding (they are actually known as one of the worst ISPs for bittorrent)

and you probably will get caught at school