I bought a Samsung HT-BD1250 system. (http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-theatre/home-theatre-systems/HT-BD1250T/XSA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail)

The TV is in the living room. The front speakers are not an issue. It's the rear speakers that I am concerned about. The listening/watching area is between the TV (of course) and the stairs up to the second floor. I want to place the left rear speaker on a built-in shelf near the ceiling (8 feet from the floor, and 9 feet behind and to the left of the listener) and the right rear speaker at the top of the stairs (about 9 feet from the floor below, and about 13 feet behind and to the right of the listener).

I should also mention that the two rear speakers are about 16 feet apart from each other.

The basic issue is that the right rear speaker will be one foot higher and four feet further away from the listener than the left rear speaker.

Will that be a problem? Will it be obvious? Is there a way to adjust the right rear speaker to be a bit louder than the left rear one? Do I need to even worry about it?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Bob