(see picture) Question about car starters - when are they completely worn?

Atom

Nov 28, 2008
(image) 1983 Suburban - Starter barely turning at ignition - Won't start truck?
[ http://berkey.biz/starter.jpg ]

Please view this picture to help answer my questions.
Thanks for any help you can give.

My Suburban's starter is not turning fast enough to start the truck. In fact it acts like the batteries are both drained. The batteries have both been charged, and I hooked up jumper cables to boost the power when trying to start, but it didn't change the symptoms.

My inspection of the cables showed no corrosion at the terminals. My inspection of the starter innards shows grooving in the brushes and copper (aren't they supposed to be smooth?), and from what I understand from past starters, there are supposed to be slots between the copper contacts (at least I think that's what I've seen before), but there isn't on this one. I've never before seen a worn out starter in terms of the copper contacts, so I am wondering if you think this starter looks perfectly functional or if it has run its lifespan. Take a look at the picture, and if you have any questions, leave an answer or email me at "adam @ berkey . biz" (no spaces)

Thanks...

I took it down to Schucks to get tested, but their test doesn't include the friction of the compression of an engine, so I'm wondering though it passed the test on their testing equipment, that the actual use of it trying to compress the cylinders in the truck need more "juice."

[ http://berkey.biz/starter.jpg ]
YOU WROTE: "why not just bite the bullet buy a new starter and be happy for ten years?"
==

Before I buy a starter for $180 that I didn't need in the end, I want to make sure the problem really IS the starter.

Here's what I'm looking for in the way of answers:

"There isn't supposed to be gaps between the copper contacts. And the grooves in the brushes and copper contacts are perfectly normal. Your starter looks fine. The problem must be somewhere else..."

or

"Yes, there are supposed to be gaps between the copper contacts. The pic shows the copper has wore all the way down, so it is definitely time to replace your starter."

or

"No you still have a good way to go before your starter goes bad. The problem must be somewhere else."

--

So far you guys think it still looks good, right?

well thats what the insides look like not many people would dtry to rebuild a starter any more when you can buy a rebuilt one or a used one for a few bucks more

why not just bite the bullet buy a new starter and be happy for ten years

some wear down til they hit the holder some smooth some wear have grind marks
ive seen them wear down to the holes and most of the starter ive had a part was made back in the 50's 60's when you could rebuild them cheap now days many parts stores have the starter and not the parts to rebuild so its easier to just buy a new one than try find parts

you can try here

and might also type how to rebuild a starter

From what I could tell from you Pics there dosen`t seem to be anything wrong with your starter ( but then pictures don`t always show everything ) Check for proper starter gap ,you can find this information in a Chilton`s manual and if you still have problems check to see if you can manually spin the crankshaft ,use a socket on the front of the engine on the bolt in the center turn it clockwise you might have major problems with the engine

Back