How do i replace the heater core in a 1996 GMC JIMMY??

bigdog4ga

Nov 14, 2008
The heater core is out cause i'm not getting any heat, how do it replace the core? and how many cores is it?
No water is not leaking nowhere, fluids are good, so how to do this other thing you guys talkin about?

Did you make sure its not just the thermostat?

-Disable air bag system.
-Drain engine coolant. Remove heater hoses at core, and plug core openings.
-Remove instrument cluster trim plate. Move tilt steering column down (if equipped), set parking brake and move automatic transmission gear selector to low (if equipped).
-Remove left underdash hush panel. Remove Data Link Connector and Remote Keyless Entry module connectors. Remove center underdash hush panel. Disconnect park brake release cable from instrument panel. Disconnect park brake cable from ratchet mechanism.
-Remove right underdash hush panel. Remove lighter and accessory outlets, if equipped. Remove courtesy light. Remove knee bolster. Partially pull A/C-heater control panel and radio to disconnect connectors on back of A/C-heater control panel and radio.
-Remove 4 steering column retaining bolts and lower steering column. Remove speaker and defroster grilles. Remove 9 instrument panel support bolts, including brake pedal bracket support bolt. Remove electrical connectors. Remove instrument panel.
-Remove core cover attaching screws. Remove retainers at end of core. Remove heater core. To install, reverse removal procedure. Fill cooling system, and check for leaks.

Well the heater core in the JIMMY is actually under and behind the dash. Meaning you have to take the entire dash off before you can remove the heater core cover and take it out. Of course you need to disconnect the heater core hoses under the hood first. Then begin to take the dash out. I had to change mine a few weeks ago and what me and my dad did was actually just unbolt the dash and lifted the entire thing up, everything still connected, and changed the heater that way. Took a lot of work but we managed to get it in.

The heater core for my truck only cost me around $35. It should be around the same price range.

I agree with the person below. If you're not having those problems then its not the heater core. Mine was spewing coolant onto my passenger floor.

If you have a bad heater core you should be having water leaking in on the passengers floor board,you might just need to replace the thermostat or the heater value thats under the hood insde the heater hoses, this value stops the water from running through the heater core when your not useing the heater. Check these thing out before you replace the heater core.It's much easier to fix them instead of the heater core.

Do you get steam on the windshield? Do you smell antifreeze in the passenger compartment? Do you have to keep filling the radiator up?
If you answered no to these questions, your heater core is not out because a heater core can only leak, that's the one problem you get with a heater core, except for blockage and I've never heard of a blockage.

Back