Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Plumbing Vent - Loop Vent, air admittance valve or what.?

I am rearranging my Kitchen. THe sink is on an inside wall in the east side of the Kitchen. The vent is in the wall behind the sink. I would like to move the sink to the opposite wall on the west side of the kitchen (an exterior wall 17 feet away). ON the exterior wall there is bay window. THe sink will be centred on the bay window. Counter will fill in the gap behind the sink to the bay window. How would i vent this? Should I run a new vent through the overhang/roof of the bay window? Loop Vent? admittance valve?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This will vary by your local plumbing code. I would say to run it horizontal (slight upward angle) thru the cabinets until you are past the bay window. Then into the wall and vent it properly. Either by going thru the roof or looping around until you can tie into the existing vent.

Remember that what you do now may catch up with you later when you want to sell the house. If your local city or a buyer inspects the work and finds out there is an improper/illegal vent it could cost you major $$$ to retrofit.

Also remember to put in clean out plugs on your drains and shut off valves on the supply lines.

Best of luck

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you feel like ripping open walls than you can run a new waste vent. If not, you can do what I did and buy ( I call it a cheater valve). Install it as high as you can in the back of your sink-base. It must be higher than the drain basin in the sink. They work just fine, and if your doing it yourself you can get away without an inspection. So there ya go, good luck.