Evaporator Vent Ctrl Malfunction?

TONY_18951

Aug 31, 2008
I recieved this code on my 1996 Toyota Tacoma. What does it mean????What does it do???How do i fix it????

P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Malfunction

The fuel tank is sealed to prevent gasoline emissions. The charcoal canister absorbs any gas fumes from the tank and stores them. The fumes are then directed to the engine to be burned when running. The system has a pressure sensor to detect if the tank remains pressured. If the tank depressurizes, a specific code is tripped depending on the problem area. This canister may not be purging correctly or the system has low or no pressure.

Check for vacuum hose leaks in fuel tank emissions control system, hoses to the charcoal canister and VSV systems. Canister could have leak, defective VSV for pressure sensor or EVAP, vapor pressure sensor, fuel tank overfull check valve. Also check the gas cap seal. in all you will get bad gas mileage

I assume you own a smoke machine, so with that said I would use some common sense and hook up the smoke machine to where the gas cap goes. I assume you own a lift also, so with that being obvious I would lift the vehicle and check all fuel lines etc for smoke. This is not a code that can be diagnosed by a do it yourselfer without a lift. It means you have a leak, how do you fix it? You smoke test the evap system and repair the leak(s).

Back