Is Limewire really as bad as people say?

kobra17

Dec 4, 2009
I have heard a lot of people talk about how dangerous it is to use the file sharing program Limewire. Is it really as bad as people say? Are there a lot of people being caught for "illegally" sharing files with this software? Any input would aide in my decision of whether or not I really want to use this program.

too many questions like this..

the program is not illegal, but the downloads can be. its like a chainsaw, its not dangerous, but it can kill people. if you are smart, you will be ok, but i personally dont use limewire. go to the link in my sources, an excellent forum post explaining how to stay safe on limewire if you plan to use it. also, i recommend having a decent anti virus and scan everything, and be safe!

its not really that getting caught you have to worry about, its the viruses.
but more people get caught using it then using torrents.

"Illegal" depends on what country you are in. If you are in the States or UK, then you can't get "free" files from anywhere.

no, it's not all that bad.

Most viruses and spyware will duplicate exactly what you typed into the search engine or be absolutely unrelated and irrelevant, and will be well under the typical size of a music file (kb instead of mb). They also sometimes don't display the file format.

No one ever gets caught for leaching, only for sharing. You can toggle the options to not share any of your music, in which case the "damages" that you've done to the record company in the form of lost music sales will barely cover their legal fees if they're lucky, so they will not sue you.

Honestly, it enhances your enjoyment of music so much more...you can branch out and enjoy music that you otherwise would be too conservative with your cash to purchase.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I've been using it for about four and a half years now and nothing has happened. As long as you don't download known bad files, you should be okay to be honest. Mine is setup to where Limewire does find the corrupted files and it helps me avoid them just incase or if I did click on it that it warns me.

ALL file sharing programs work the same. You download the software, the software links you to all the members pcs. How many of these people do you suppose might be infected with malware? You ARE downloading files from total strangers computers! As far as illegal? considering 99.9 percent of the people are using them to download copyrighted materials without paying, yes they ARE stealing. Aint no different than going to walmart and slipping a cd in your purse.

No, it's worse. I've used it 3 times and caught a virus each time! I've switched to using utorrent and have had ZERO problems.

It is very dangerous as almost every file you download is a virus. With a good antivirus you will be ok. Of course almost everything you download will be illegal, however you will not be caught. I recommend not using it.

It is ok sometimes but ...
Some songs are really bad quality
some aren't even the full song
people can mix differnt songs together
me and my sister have had quite a lot of virus' in our computer since we got it
but i would probs not get it considering wgat happened to me
there are quite a lot of people being caught for the illegal thing

X

It is ok sometimes but ...
Some songs are really bad quality
some aren't even the full song
people can mix differnt songs together
me and my sister have had quite a lot of virus' in our computer since we got it
but i would probs not get it considering wgat happened to me
there are quite a lot of people being caught for the illegal thing

X

i got a lot of great songs off of there. unfortunetly i also got a few nice little viruses. now i just buy my songs from itunes. i hate it but its better then getting a virus and having it take all your personal information off of your computer.

Back