Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Happy Murcia
    Yes I agree, one of the most dangerous and freely available drugs in our society. The government appear to be happy to allow people to consume vast quantities of alcohol with their blessing, rather hypocritical

cherryxcream6612
    I feel that if you can be 18 to fight in a war...

then why the hell can't you buy liquor.

JOHN A
    We used to sneak into the pubs at 16. We knew we were doing something we shouldn't have done, so we kept quiet, consumed our half of Red Barrel and went home. However, if today you stop alcohol sales to the young, they will simply find another person to purchase for them, or move onto other potentially more damaging intoxicants, like meths or solvents. Control that, and then they'll move on to home brewing and distillation. It is really a matter of looking to do something about the root problem and not how it manifests itself within society. Look to the deep rooted dissatisfaction and look to resolve and cure, rather than attempt to ban, limit and restrict.

R M
    I live in Canada and the legal age for alcohol consumption is 19! Actually 18 if you live in the province of Quebec. As far as I know our crime rates are a good deal lower than those in the US so I don't see a strong correlation between drinking at 19 or 21. I agree that if you are able to vote, serve in the war etc, you should be able to control your drinking and have the right to drink (almost all kids do anyways- can't say the legal drinking age stops many!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it should, and much tougher fines for shopkeepers.

Though to be honest, I dont know if it will work that well, a lot of the time its stupid adults getting booze for the kids, so I dont how how well raising it to 21 would work.

Im all for it though, and i think France has the right idea - kids are raised with a glass of wine at lunch, its part of family life, they seem to have a much better balance with kids and alcohol than we do.

I dont know if there is a solution that will work, but raising the age would be a good way to start.

ChocLover
    I agree

tommywebb22
    Alcohol should go the way of illegal drugs. It kills more people every year than any drug. It impairs your thinking ability, destroys families and the body, but yet it is still legal to buy. It should not be available at all. To anyone.

Veronica Alicia
    Or will they get their mates who can prove they are over 21 to buy it for them?
    As someone has already said - if they are old enough to die for their Country in battle at 18 and they are now old enough at 18 to vote in a General Election to choose how the Country is governed, can you, logically, say to them you aren't enough of an adult yet to buy a bottle of beer?
    Tricky one!
    Edit - you missed a couple, Martin
    Age of Marriage without consent - back to 21?
    And what about "Age of Consent"? 21?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12