Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    glenn

Should alcohol sales be limited to over 21's now?

I am referring to shop sales, not in bars and clubs. Surely there is nothing to gain from allowing kids to buy alcohol and we all know certain shops could not care less how old their customers are.

It is clear to me that as a nation we are incapable of controlling a large element of our younger people, our whole culture seems hell bent on self destruction so at least lets make an effort. A ban on under 21's can only serve to help but we need action now before yet another innocent person is stabbed to death by a drunken yob.

Junior Member jeffrey_bowling19's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To all of those that think it should be illegal or stay the same let me ask you if you have ever compared our culture to another countries culture where the law is 16 like France, England, ect. They have a different way of looking at alchohal. They don't binge drink and get hammered. I don't know why this is, probably along the same lines of your mom telling you not to do something...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree over 21's only

Barbie V
    Yes and the legal age should be put up to 21 for most things

Downloads
    Uploads
    You shouldn't be allowed to drink on an empty head.

Always Right
    No. We have the appropriate laws in place but the courts never seem to be willing to use them. They have the power to shut down shops who sell to minors, close pubs who serve intoxicated people, fine them, close them temporarily but the people with the power to act are unwilling. So bearing that in mind you can make the legal age 30 but it wont stop them shops and it wont make the decision makers impose the laws they already have at there disposal. The problem seems to be forcing the law to actually act and follow it up.

Uxorious
    I agree that something needs to be done. We have one of the worst binge drinking cultures in the developed world and female binge drinking is virtually unknown in any other country. I think raising the legal age to 21 would be a good start but we also need to tackle this problem hard on many other fronts. We need more responsible vendors, tougher action on antisocial behaviour, a huge awareness campaign about the dangers of excessive drinking and young people need authentic role models to look up to, not overpaid and loutish celebrities.

Martin G
    I think that ......

Alcohol should be for over 21

Car driving should be for over 21

Motor bikes should be for over 21

Voting should be for over 21

Going to war should be for over 21

Dole money (DHSS) should be for over 21

Paying full price on the bus / theatre ETC, should be for over 21

Smoking should be for over 21

Travel outside of the uk should be for over 21 (unless with an ADULT)

And everyone should stay in school until they have learnt to be polite and have learnt some manors and respect for others.

sharkeater
    no way!!cant beat watching a good fight after the pub!!suely everyone agrees with me on this!!

The Happy Murcia
    Yes I agree, one of the most dangerous and freely available drugs in our society. The government appear to be happy to allow people to consume vast quantities of alcohol with their blessing, rather hypocritical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast