Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

what problems to look for when buying a used sports bike(ninja 250)?

im looking to buy my first motor bike and alot of people are telling me that i should start off with a ninja 250.i found a lot on craigslist in my price range for about 2000.00.mainly 98-2007 models.now the thing is nobody i know knows how to ride a motor bike,so is there certain things i should look for when buying a used bike from a private seller?because i hate to blow 2000.00 dollars on something that's not worth it or that will involve me investing more money in to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many people who ride Sport Bikes think that they are racers riding racing bikes. They tend to beat the crap out of their bikes.

When you go to look at the bike you really need to have someone along with a motorcycle license. You wouldn't buy a used car without first taking it for a test ride. The same goes for a motorcycle. Make sure your friend brings along a helmet.

So look for signs of abuse.

Look for tire wear.

Look at the chain. Is it adjusted to near its limits? Are the sprockets in good condition?

Look at the brakes.

Place the bike on the center stand. Have a friend hold the front of the bike firmly. Pull the rear tire from side to side firmly. Is there any movement? Any movement from side to side means bad control arm bushings.

Is the engine oil clean? If the oil looks neglected you got to wonder how well the rest of the bike is maintained.

Start the engine. Did it start right up? Did the battery sound strong? Did the owner warm up the engine before you got there? Do the valves clatter? Did it give out a puff of smoke when it started?

Take it for a test ride. Does the clutch work correctly? Does the transmission shift smoothly? Does the engine run smoothly? Does the suspension work properly? Do the brakes work correctly without any strange noise? Any strange rattles or noises?

How is the appearance? Is the plastic in good condition? Are there any scratches? Is the seat torn? Is there any parts missing.

All of these things will be something that you may need to deal with after you take ownership of the bike.