Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

do you have a dual sport and a sport bike? which one do you have more fun with?

Im getting a new bike next summer and i cant figure out if i want a DRZ400S or a sportbike...my plan is to have both eventually but which one i pick i will be stuck with for about 5 years. I know if i get one i will miss the other, if i get a sportbike every time i see a trail off road ill miss the drz, and every time a trackday rolls around or i just wanna haul @$$ ill miss the sportbike. plus this will be my main mode of transportation and i live in hoover AL so i ride alot of interstate too. I should note that im comming off a 250 sportbike.

if you do suggest getting the sportbike what so u suggest i get, i really want a zx6r but i have never been on a bike with that power,plus insurance is a kick in the @$$ on that too

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both. I have more fun with the dual sport which is a DRZ400s, lightly modified for trail riding (knobbies and guards for hands, the engine and radiator) and I do ride trails and dirt/gravel roads as often as I can. Regular interstate riding may get old but I do ride it there to get to back roads and trails. I had a week this summer just to pick one and ride a few hours each day, and I put more time on the dual sport. Had a sport bike and dual sports before, and got back into bikes with the DRZ a couple of years back. I just got the sport bike (FZ1000) this spring and started to enjoy it over the summer, but really its not as great as I hoped (maybe the seating which is a little tight with the dished seat). The power is amazing, but there is limited chance to use it even on country roads I tend to reach during my rides. Twisty roads where its handling would be shown are never long enough or free of traffic enough. So 99% of the time its power is inaccessible. Having both means one sits a bit more, but it is nice to have a choice.

The DRZ, maybe like your 250, allows you to turn full throttle as much as you want, and there is always trail riding to spin and slide. Even if I did not trail ride as much I would keep the DRZ and put street biased tires on it.

Again maybe its just me, but I think my next road bike may be a large cruiser or a super moto, with the DRZ keeping its place in the garage, so thats my choice over the sport bike.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I Sold my Dual sport and bought a Honda CBR 600 and a 250 two stroke.

In my opinion having a dual sport limits you in each area. Your either half an off road bike or half a street bike. You cannot ride both as they were intended.

So i bought a sport bike for the first time. [and now i want a bigger one!!! i love it!] and then I bought an old 250 i can beat up like it deserves to be.