do you have a dual sport and a sport bike? which one do you have more fun with?

speeDemon

Jul 25, 2008
Im getting a new bike next summer and i cant figure out if i want a DRZ400S or a sportbike...my plan is to have both eventually but which one i pick i will be stuck with for about 5 years. I know if i get one i will miss the other, if i get a sportbike every time i see a trail off road ill miss the drz, and every time a trackday rolls around or i just wanna haul @$$ ill miss the sportbike. plus this will be my main mode of transportation and i live in hoover AL so i ride alot of interstate too. I should note that im comming off a 250 sportbike.

if you do suggest getting the sportbike what so u suggest i get, i really want a zx6r but i have never been on a bike with that power,plus insurance is a kick in the @$$ on that too

Both. I have more fun with the dual sport which is a DRZ400s, lightly modified for trail riding (knobbies and guards for hands, the engine and radiator) and I do ride trails and dirt/gravel roads as often as I can. Regular interstate riding may get old but I do ride it there to get to back roads and trails. I had a week this summer just to pick one and ride a few hours each day, and I put more time on the dual sport. Had a sport bike and dual sports before, and got back into bikes with the DRZ a couple of years back. I just got the sport bike (FZ1000) this spring and started to enjoy it over the summer, but really its not as great as I hoped (maybe the seating which is a little tight with the dished seat). The power is amazing, but there is limited chance to use it even on country roads I tend to reach during my rides. Twisty roads where its handling would be shown are never long enough or free of traffic enough. So 99% of the time its power is inaccessible. Having both means one sits a bit more, but it is nice to have a choice.

The DRZ, maybe like your 250, allows you to turn full throttle as much as you want, and there is always trail riding to spin and slide. Even if I did not trail ride as much I would keep the DRZ and put street biased tires on it.

Again maybe its just me, but I think my next road bike may be a large cruiser or a super moto, with the DRZ keeping its place in the garage, so thats my choice over the sport bike.

I Sold my Dual sport and bought a Honda CBR 600 and a 250 two stroke.

In my opinion having a dual sport limits you in each area. Your either half an off road bike or half a street bike. You cannot ride both as they were intended.

So i bought a sport bike for the first time. [and now i want a bigger one!!! i love it!] and then I bought an old 250 i can beat up like it deserves to be.

Back