Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would you vote "Yes" for Pete Rose to be inducted in the baseball Hall of Fame?

If you saw him play, in person, or on television, please explain why you did or did not like him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would vote no.

My first favourite team was the Big Red Machine in the early 70s. While Johnny Bench was my favourite player, Pete was probably next. When I played little league everyone wanted to hustle just like Pete Rose and we all tried the head first slide. I liked Pete Rose.

However, baseball is very, very clear about the punishment for gambling on the game. Pete gambled and knew the punishment if he ever got caught. He got caught and the punishment was administered. And it literally killed a good man in Bart Giamatti do it.Following that, if Pete had ever been honest, admitted what he had done and offered an apology, I would have forgiven him. And I suspect the vast majority of fans would have done the same.

But instead of being honest, he lied to us all continually. And then lied on top of the lies. Even when he finally admitted what he had done, he couldn't bring himself to offer a heartfelt apology, instead it was offered to draw attention/increase sales for his book.

It's all really a shame - on the field Pete Rose was a wonder. But what he did off it and the contempt he shown for all his fans is just too much.

Downloads
    Uploads
    These kinds of things should be answered by current Hall of Fame inductees who know and played with Pete Rose.

I personally dislike this man, but "Charlie Hustle" was a phenomenon on the field that really deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for his achievements as a player, but he deserves to be in the Hall of Shame for his gambling and lies.

So, if its just about raw accomplishments and numbers, yes, if issues such as character, honor, dignity, matter, then no way.

So, I conclude, let his peer group, the current inductees weigh in on the issue and their opinion should be very seriously considered, not the sports writers or fans.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't like that he lied for so many years, but considering he is the all time hits leader, and he has apologized and written a book about his problems, Yes, he deserves the honor.

Junior Member 10010010010100101001's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would vote yes he is the all time hits leader who cares what he did after his playing career was over it is his playing career that is supposed to be taken into consideration.