Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

help with road bike question?

I was going to purchase a road bike, and was wondering if you need experience to purchase a nicer bike. like, if i were to purchase a bike that was maybe meant for more experienced rider, would it be ok for a beginner. i mean, its just a bike. thanks.

i've had quality bike store bikes before, but just not a road bike.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The differences are not enough to make enough of a difference for a beginner in my opinion. This is also why you can usually find great road bikes on Craig's list for little money...so many beginners buy something they end up not using. Good luck and I hope you stick with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if you're a beginner, you can buy a more expensive bike, but the more basic bikes will be just as good for you. I'd suggest getting a lower-level model from a bike shop (not from walmart or target or a sporting goods store)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can buy any bike you want, they all ride the same. The more expensive ones will be liter and have better components but that is about it. If you are use to department store bikes you will notice the difference right away.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any road bike will do. Aluminum frames are cheaper than carbon, and require less assembly skill. Stay with metal handlbars and seat posts, though carbon front forks are becoming common.

The bike brand is unimportant, really , It is the components that make for an excellent introductory experience.

Choice Components include:

Shimano Sora,Tiagra,105,Ultegra,or Dura-Ace
    Any SRAM road stuff
    Any Campagnolo stuff

Try for a Compact Double Crankset unless you are in a mountainous region where a Triple Crank is better.

The main thing is to get

1. Good assembly.

2. Good fit.

If you are not good with tools, I would caution against mail order. I would also caution against stores like WalMart and Target, simply because their assembly is done by the same guys who assemble store displays ... I worked for both of them at various times ... sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont.

Find a bike shop. Any bike shop. The worst is better at fit and assembly than the best department store. Yes, you will pay 30 bucks more. Maybe 50 bucks. But remember, your co-payment in the emergency room will probably be at least 200 bucks if the wheel falls off or the handle bars slip.