Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is karate still an effective way of defending oneself or now an outdated concept?

Should people look at more street orientated systems like Krav maga for self defense ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I'm pretty sure that no kung fu master or ninja is going to sneak up on you. but it is more of a sport than self defense though some people would disagree with me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if you take a karate class they will teach you how to fight a competition style spectator sport,a self defense course that doesn't,t worry about what color belt to give you or how many trophy,s you win them is best for street defense..........your level of dedication will make a difference to

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, Lyoto Machida uses is karate as his base.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is still very effective but you have to find a good school and Sensei. Any martial art, regardless of the system, is only as effective as the student's understanding and application of that art but having a good teacher makes a huge difference.

I have seen Krav Maga people who made some really stupid claims get their words fed to them by Karate people and vice versa. I have also seen the same with just about every art out there because it is always about the practitioner's abilitys, training and understanding.

The real problem is that people take a couple of years of Karate and think they "know" Karate...which they don't. KM is a self defense concept and if a person takes a few months and then no longer studies it the same thing. There are no short cuts to become good at self defense regardless of what they are "selling" to you. The people who are really good at the arts have trained for many years...not a couple of years or months.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike. Karate is still a way of defending your self but there is more to it than that. it teaches discipline and it's a way of life. all martial artist who study a certain style or technique exude a certain confidence and most time than not do they put them selves in a position to feel the need to defend themselves. as far as the other to disciplines you mention they're good also it's just what you make of it. good luck.

As for the others who stated that a gun is the only way to defend your self... we'll I feel sorry for your family and loved ones because if that all you got to defend with you and them are in trouble... later cowards....

Downloads
    Uploads
    All martial arts are more ceremonial than useful it is the fear it is supposed to instil that is the weapon. A street brawler or someone with a weapon will beat a martial arts expert as long as they don't stand still while the guy is winding up like they do in films. There was recently a kick boxer in a street fight who threw a kick but the guy moved away and the boxer broke his hip on the pavement

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think any self defense training would be good... though the best would probably be a gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, I heard that hadouken is the best form of self-defense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    it's still effective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast