how was time recorded before christ?

Benji

Aug 2, 2008
so...i understand there is the BC/AD thing, but that only happened AFTER Christ. So, how was time recorded for the other thousands of years before Christ. Obviously people had no idea that Christ was going to be born, so they weren't walking around 1,000 years before he was born saying it was "1000 BC".

Anyone know?

I think, Hindus were having a very well developed system of recording time before Christ,
which becomes evident from their knowledge about the astronomy and astrology of that time.

Edit:
I want to mention here that one eastern astrologer visited the place of the birth of the Christ and was there at the time of birth, to see about the accuracy of an eastern astrological prediction of a divine birth in that area.
He was amongst few who know in advance about the birth of the christ.
Though this information is based on a book I read a long time ago.

you are correct, the BC/AD system is the creation of the church. they probably each had their own year dating for their own calander. The Hebrew calander is a good example of this

There were calendars before our current Gregorian calendar. Different regions had their own calendars. When Tiberius ruled over the Syrian province before the birth of Christ they had the Syriani calendar, but there was also a Roman calendar in use at that time.

It depends on the culture. Commonly, the year would be referred to as the Nth year of the reign of <your local head of state>.

Some cultures also had calendars with numbered years. Nobody expected the birth of some carpenter's kid in Nazareth to be important, though.

they still had the whole month system and what not. they knew about the solar revolutions and the like.

in fact, the mayans almost got it right. like almost exactly right.

i find it interesting that the grip the church had on the world was so great that even though we now use CE/BCE, they are still based on the birth of jesus.

unfortunate. but oh well.

Look at the history of Ancient Egypt for examples. Time was measured by the dynasties of kings. Asian and European cultures did that, too. But the calendars were different for each culture, of course. Not a problem when there was virtually no meaningful communication between them.

Different cultures used (and still use) a variety of different methods.

In Rome, for example, years were measured by the reign of the emperor. Something could occur, for example, in the "5th year of Augustus."

Jews traditionally count years from the day of creation of the universe...almost 6000 years ago.

Our firm offer inexpensive headstones and grave markers. We offer slant headstones, upright headstones, flat grave markers and more.

Back