watching blue ray movies, some good some not so good?

wondering

May 13, 2008
Hello all, can you help me and maybe explain how the aspect ratio works as well, Im all set up, I have the new 1080p Mitsubishi DLP (2010) TV, its a 65 inch. also samsung blue-ray player, and bose 5 speaker surround system, all movies i have tried are blue ray.. my first movie was the soloist, superb quality in blue ray, and of course in widescreen.. second movie was bangkok dangerous, CRAP quality, i changed every setting and it is in full screen, grainy yuck... it says it is blue ray 1080p and widescreen, i didnt even finish it. 3rd movie was the new fast and furious, awesome, again widescreen and great , 4th movie i forget, well, again full screen and tube tv looking. the worst is bangkok dangerous, maybe its the aspect ratio??? i know all the settings very well so it cant be any component r tv settings, here is the only differnece i can find

bangkok is : Video resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1

The Soloist: Video resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Fast & Furious: Picture: Widescreen (2.40:1)
Color

so maybe its this aspect thing, it seems like anything 2. anything is widescreeen (with black bar on top and bottom (which i love) and could it be anything with ratio of 1. anything will be full screen stretched, and can you please explain the 2. or 1. ratio thing, thank you so much for your time

Movies like Bancock Dangerous was shot with grain and a dusty look and the BluRay transfer reflects this. (Lots of classic movies on film look grainy on BluRay. Movie lovers love this, but people used to CGI based movies find it annoying.)

RATIO: Movies shot for the theater use at least 9 different ratios. Shows and movies shot for HDTV are exactly 16:9 and exactly fill the screen. "Sara Connor Chronicles, Weeds, Etc." exactly fit the screen.

Try "The Dark Knight" on BluRay. The director uses 2 different ratios (including some from the iMAX version.) But the picture is glorious.

There are some BluRay sites that rank disks in terms of video quality. If you want to focus on great looking disks, search for these.

Back