Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

(car audio) Bigger guage power and ground wire = More Bass?

OK whats up this a question for all my fellow bass heads out there

alright ive had my current system for about 2 years now and im wanting to upgrade something,

what i got:
    2 06 15" kicker L7s
    hifonics bxi2006 (2000WRMS supposedly)

check it out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lblqSzH4NL4

no electrical upgrades yet but coming soon

alright right now i got 4guage power and ground, if i go and buy 2gauge will it make a significant difference as far as my output power from the amp?
    i know the amp will recieve more current because there is less resistance from the bigger cross section area, and might help out a little with the voltage drops, but just want to hear some opinions on people who have made the switch from 4 to 2. as in the difference, or should i just go with 1/0, but im not sure if that will even fit into my amp

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bigger guage power and ground wire = More Bass?

Not more bass specifically but a better use of the power it will get instead of starving the amp for power.

Unless you like replacing alternators/batteries, do the Big 3.

More info here http://spkrbox1.spaces.live.com

My system - http://www.youtube.com/user/sparky3489

Downloads
    Uploads
    i would say you are lucky, cuz you havent set that wire on fire, thats too small for that amp, if you did it yourself, that's fine, just reaplace it for gauge 0 that would be the best, and talking about diference on your sysmen, i dont think so, that doesnt make any diference, the only thing it does, prevents a damage on your amp, or installation. i suggest you replace it, one more thing if a shop did this, go back and tell them they have to replace it.

morcego!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't change your wiring soon, you will evenually will have a carbeque. Wiring of the amp has nothing to do with bass output. The amp draws 145A continuously. Most alternators in vehicles are less than 150A. I would have at least 2AWG running it cause it handles 180A.

You will need a high output alternator of at least 250A. Another option would be a second alternator but it would involve change of serpentine belt drive and length and external engine to mount the second alternator. The most common thing is a second battery that is a deep cycle and rated for the wattage of the amp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, four gauge is a little thin for 2000 watts! You need 1/0 gauge. You may not be able to hear a difference, but you will lessen the resistance I would assume. You really need a HO alternator if that amp really does 2000 watts.

Also, the big three is necessary! Do it now. Heres a link with pictures.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/312025/page/1

(I will add if your power wire is way too small, it would definetly reduce the power output IMO, like, if you used 10 gauge power wire for your 2000 watt amp. Along with being very dangerous!)