Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Abraham Lincoln and slavery?

The ending of slavery was obviously the major consideration for Abraham Lincoln to be a good president. However, Lincoln's comments at Charleston when he debated Stephen Douglas. Does that sound like he is a friend of African Americans? Does his statement that he is waging a war to end slavery support the accusation of his critics that he didn't care about the slaves until the war was almost over? Vincent Harding has a different take on who freed the slaves, what do you think? Some of Lincoln’s critics go so far as to say that he was an opportunist and a hypocrite; the Maryland State Song even refers to him as a "tyrant." Do you think the Maryland State Song's reference to him as a tyrant is fair? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lincon was a huge Tyrant. he did more to destroy states rights than almost any other president. He fought the entire Civil war with out Congressional approval, and suspended many constitutional rights during the war.

Yes Abolition was a Major issue of the Republican party but it was not of pressing importance to Lincoln. The emancipation proclamation was only signed as a political move to keep the british from entering the war on the side of the south.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well yes he had to save the Union first and foremost. But lets not forget THE SOUTH STARTED THE CIVIL WAR THEY FIRED ON FORT SUMTER, over what they claim to be states rights, 1 of which is Slavery, which the North ( the majority of the population esp at that time ) oppose. So I believe from his point of view he was against slavery, but not deeply enough to lose the union. However Thank good the North won and he got his way anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lincoln did NOT wage civil war to to free slaves, that was just a consequences of winning the war. He waged war to preserve the union aka America.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No. Lincoln in his First Inaugural Address, and I'm paraphrasing, said that if he could free all of the slaves and save the Union that he would do that. If he could free none of the slaves and save the Union he would do that. If he could free some of the slaves and not others he would do that too.

Lincoln, first and foremost believed in the perpetuity of the Union.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lincoln position on slavery was made very clear by the man himself in a letter to Horace Greeley:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union."

So there you go. Did he care about black people and the fact that they were slaves? Not really. Was he an opportunist, hypocrite, etc? Perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that his actions were paramount to the creation of the USA in the way we know it today.