Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I complain about Professor?

I took an online class called Intercultural Communication this summer through my university. The course started out with 50-60 students. After the first few days (drop period) we were down to 48. The instructors grading and eadlines were impossible for most (in my opinion). By the end of the course everyone but 18 students had withdrawn. I think this should raise a flag for the university (but probably won't). I did not want to withdraw because I wanted to take the class and need the credits. I ended up getting a C-. In order to get an acceptable grade you were required to review a bunch of material over the weekend, and take a test on it by sunday night. Then mon-fri you were required to have online discussuions on different textbook readings. In order to receive a decent grade, you must post all 5 days. The professor made it seem simple by saying, just log in for 15 min and post something. However, You need to read a chapter of he book for each discussuin question, each day. So it takes an enourmous amount of time. I usually spend my Mondays and Tuesdays reading the chapters and then responding on Wednesday thru Friday. Our deadline was always supposed to be Friday by midnight, however, during 3 weeks, It seemed to have locked me out at around 6-7 pm already when I came home from work.
    I had always been under the impression that online classes should be a little more flexible. Anyway, here is my question:
    Should I complain to the dean and solicit the help of fellow students? Or would this just be viewed as a complaint from a student who didn't work hard enough and is not happy with his grade now? I mean I am not looking for an easy grade, I just want some realistic expectations and not for someone to F*** up my GPA.
    I am a Senior and know what classes are normally like. I have done bad in classes and know when I just don't grasp a concept or was not able to keep up with the work load. I have never bin in a class where 2/3 of the class withdrew though. In my opinion the instructor is not very usefull if no one remains in their class... right? In this class we started out with 60 people and ended with 18. Maybe that's common, but I have not experienced anything that dramatic in the last 3 years.

Also, I should add: This is at a state university, so the classes are subsidized by the state. I think it is a waste of public moneys to pay instructors who are unable to teach.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Or would this just be viewed as a complaint from a student who didn't work hard enough and is not happy with his grade now?"

Yeah, you got it.

Honestly, what are you, a freshman? Sorry to be rude, but this all sounds like a load of sour grapes to me. You should have just worked harder, and slept less if you needed to. You could have either withdrawn from the course, or even just research your professor better. you are just not used to how college is yet i guess.

your professor did not f up your grade, you failed, right?

The course sounds easy to tell you the truth, and you just sound like a nub. Get better at school and stop complaining. If you got a C-, chances are you deserved it.

I am a TA for an engineering course, and nothing annoys me more than when a student comes up to me with a horrible attitude for a problem of theirs i graded (and was all ready generous with), how they want to argue with me and wish for me to give them more points for a problem they got completely wrong to begin wtih. you sound like one of them. Grades are just grades, live and learn.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't complain. Just cause the teacher has a heavy workload doesn't mean anything is wrong with it. You should had looked into the professor beforehand.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the instructor explains the grading system in the syllabus, there's not much you can do. You get the syllabus on the first day; if you thought the expectations were too high, you should have dropped the class then. You can't complain that you had to study on the weekend or that you had to read your textbook. A summer class is a semester's worth of material in 3 or 4 weeks; it's going to be tough and accelerated compared to your fall and spring classes. And there is no reason an online class should be flexible compared to an in-person class.

You probably can complain about the system locking you out 5 hours early though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's just how the course works and there's nothing you can do about it.

The only reason you should complain is if a professor cancelled class a lot and therefore wasted your time, or if the professor was being out of line with you.