Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is Xvid and should I get it?

I have a divx player and I was wondering if these two things were connected in anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    its a codec see cole2k info on this site in useful software article..for pc help i use www.beingahuman.blogspot.com , bookmark it then read the articles on the website..lots of useful info and all the free software everyone needs to use to surf safely eg antivirus and antispyware!! hope this helps..look in the archives on the right of the homepage for info on choosing a pc, free software thats recommended, a list of useful websites ( article42 in the september 2005 archive), just click an advert each day you use this site to help cover the running costs and use the google search box on this site instead of going to google its exactly the same only when u search from it the website owner earns a tiny amount if you go on to click a sponsored advert on the google results...this keeps the blog free to use thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. DivX is a commercial codec, whereas XviD is a reverse engineered DivX-compliant codec. Just about anything that can play DivX encoded material can also play XviD encoded material.

I think that probably answers the question `Should I get it?`. Get it if you need it. Don't get it if you don't need it.

EDIT: I intentionally refrained from saying this earlier, since people would accuse me of having a personal vendetta against it, but Mike gave me the confidence to also say that you should avoid installing the K-Lite Codec pack.

Installing ffdshow tryouts would be a better idea: http://www.google.com/url?q=http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/download.php&ei=PnJmSpHvCZmTtgfGi5n3Dw&sa=X&oi=sma p&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNEdNcoquv2Di-D1WXL6tTgMgeOUkA

Downloads
    Uploads
    Xvid (like DivX) is a codec used to compress and playback video files. Many videos (notably pirated movies) are encoded using Xvid codec. Your DivX player should play Xvid fine, however. But you can always play them on your pc if you have the codec installed. Get the k-lite codec pack and play (almost) anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    DIvx and Xvid are two flavors of AVI Format., if u need to download Both Download the K-lite Codec Pack as it includes all Codecs you may require to play or convert any file