What Is The Best Port For BitTorrent?

Kieran

Feb 29, 2008
I just want to know what port do things download the fastest from, i'm downloading a 4GB file and its really slow downloading at 15kb/s - 25kb/s

6889-6999 i beleve is reserved for bittorrent. make sure your router is allowing your ports to be forwarded and no firewall is restricting it. make sure the torrent has plenty of seeders.

Depends on yor Computer - Listening ports are usually in the 3000 /5000 number range.
Have you done the usual things like making Firewall exception?

Some like u -torrent do a search anyway automatically and assign a Port. The only way forward from here is to go P2P or try one of the Port forwarding progs out there though Ive had limited success wit these as they often take quite a bit of setting up (like my BT router isnt listed) etc etc.
Could also try DL at 'unbusy' times of the day - my speeds pick up no end early in the morning US time.

Are you using your Softwares own search engine to locate what you want?? Speeds sometimes improve if you use them.

It's not important what port you use, so long as the port isn't used by any other service. BitTorrent is supposed to use a randomly selected port to get around any port based blocking.

What is important, for best results, is that whatever port you do use is forwarded by your router. There are various online guides to port forwarding if you're unsure about this.

Using a good BitTorrent client (uTorrent is one of the best) can help to some extent.

However, ultimately, your download speed can only ever be as fast as the combined upload speed you can get from the people who are seeding the torrent. That's why seeding is so important, and why the good torrent sites hate leeching so much.

It's not important what port you use, so long as the port isn't used by any other service. BitTorrent is supposed to use a randomly selected port to get around any port based blocking.

What is important, for best results, is that whatever port you do use is forwarded by your router. There are various online guides to port forwarding if you're unsure about this.

Using a good BitTorrent client (uTorrent is one of the best) can help to some extent.

However, ultimately, your download speed can only ever be as fast as the combined upload speed you can get from the people who are seeding the torrent. That's why seeding is so important, and why the good torrent sites hate leeching so much.

Back