Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    leroyandlexie

How can I tell if my cat's leg is sprained or broken? It's not crying

but won't put weight on it. My daughter accidentally shut our kitten's paw in the door - the kitten cried once and wouldn't put weight on its leg. It is now sleeping peacefully. How long would a sprain take to heal?

Rachel
    You can never really be sure whether it's a sprain or a break until you take a x-ray. The sprain should probably heal in about one-two weeks in a kitten. But if it is so young and it has a broken bone, I would take it to the vet just to make sure it didn't because the bone in his foot could be permanently damaged for life. It could have a multitude of problems as it gets older, ranging from early arthritis to eventually not being able to use his foot. If you possibly have the money it would be a good idea to take him on to the vet.

Tay Tay
    Sprains are very painful, so keep an eye on her. She is young though, so she should heal quickly. if she doesn't put any weight on it after a few days I would take her to the vet.

sweet_gal117
    if u even think your cats legs can possibly be sprained or broken, take it to the vet!! idk y u wudnt take ur kitten to the vet immediately after seeing it get its paw slamed in a door. and also if its limping, thats a bad sign.VET!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    take it to the vet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    PLEASE !! Take your kitten to the vet. What would you do if it was your child's finger or hand??

Downloads
    Uploads
    How long has her leg been sore? If she still won't put weight on it after a day - take her to the vet.

Cats never complain when they are in pain - They stay quiet so if you really think she is injured take her to the vet ok?

Rivka
    ARE YOU KIDDING? YOU CAN TELL BY ATTENDING TO HIS MEDICAL NEEDS BY.....
    TAKING YOUR CAT TO THE VET.
    TAKING YOUR CAT TO THE ANIMAL HOSPITAL.
    TAKING YOUR CAT TO GET MEDICAL TREATMENT....SOMEWHERE....ANYWHERE.
    Would you play guessing games if your kid had done the same thing???????

Not trying to be mean, but it's clear that you would rather wait for all of us Yahoo Answers inexperienced know-it-alls, bored teenagers and hobbyists to answer a medical question while your cat could have a broken limb.
    Please use some common sense, and for God's sake, get the animal some help.

Cat Mom
    Are some of these people serious? Wow..relax. Cats often time injure themselves by simply running. Slamming the cats paw with a door is much more serious, but you should continue to monitor the cat before running to the vet!!!! My cat limped for a day and the next day was fine. We still took her to the vet and they told us she was ABSOLUTELY fine. Idiots.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Are some of these people serious? Wow..relax. Cats often time injure themselves by simply running. Slamming the cats paw with a door is much more serious, but you should continue to monitor the cat before running to the vet!!!! My cat limped for a day and the next day was fine. We still took her to the vet and they told us she was ABSOLUTELY fine. Idiots.
    hi cat mom, i agree with you totally, i have always took the best care of my animals, cats and dogs, but i have a question for you, if you could please help me, i have never had this happen to me before, my full grown male cat left yesterday and came back today limping, his right hind leg was dangling down, he could not lift it, nor could he put any body weight on it, even though he seems to be in a little pain, cats have a high tolerance for pain, yet he seems to be fine otherwise, he has nice pink gums, his heart rate is not fast or racing, but his right hind paw and distal <lower> leg toward his paw is swollen bigger than his other hind leg and paw. what do you think? i think it is probably broken, but wanted to ask anyway, if he not better tomorrow i am taking him to be seen. have you ever encountered this before with any of yours? thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast