Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

do you think cooking should be part of the national curriculum in middle and...

...upper schools? when i was at school we used to have a double cookery lesson and it was one of the best subjects it covered, maths,by measuring ingredients,it covered english by writing out the ingredients and how we made it and the added bonus was you could cook when you left school.i know at some schools you can do it as an option, but i think it is an important life skill, and it could help promote healthy living.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definately - theres too many young men and women today who cant even boil an egg - my boyfriend was pampered by his mother who waited on his every whim and now he expects me to be the same... moms are to blame much of the time too - they should teach their kids how to cook too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    it was called home ec in my school and also included things like sewing but erm yeah. i loved it, it was such an easy class

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cooking should be taught in all schools. Buying ingredients and cooking your own food is fun and less expensive than buying ready meals or take-aways.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also had Food Technology lessons from the ages of 11 to 14, but the lessons were never long enough and so we were taght to make things like Angel Delight. I think the lessons should carry on, there are a lot of people who have no idea how to cook properly and don't have an appreciation of good, healthy food. Schools should encourage that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first three years included cookery or "Food Technology" as it was called. That was ages 11-14. I learnt to cook properly at university.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally agree with you. In the past (when I was young, a long time ago) all secondary school GIRLS were taught what was known as "Domestic Science" which included cookery, washing and ironing, knitting and sewing. During these sessions the boys did woodwork/metalwork. I would like to see these subjects brought back into the curriculum but for young people of both sexes. Being a boy, I never learned how to cook, sew, etc so when, aged 18, I found myself in the Royal Air Force, I couldn't polish my shoes, press my trousers or mend my socks. And when I eventually bought my own flat I had no real idea how to cook proper meals. However, I sooned learned and nowadays share the meal preparation with my wife,

Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally agree with you. In the past (when I was young, a long time ago) all secondary school GIRLS were taught what was known as "Domestic Science" which included cookery, washing and ironing, knitting and sewing. During these sessions the boys did woodwork/metalwork. I would like to see these subjects brought back into the curriculum but for young people of both sexes. Being a boy, I never learned how to cook, sew, etc so when, aged 18, I found myself in the Royal Air Force, I couldn't polish my shoes, press my trousers or mend my socks. And when I eventually bought my own flat I had no real idea how to cook proper meals. However, I sooned learned and nowadays share the meal preparation with my wife,

Downloads
    Uploads
    I too did cookery at school, in fact Home Economics was one of my chosen subjects and I passed with flying colours. This has helped me in later life with all sorts of stuff as it covered everything from budgeting to stain removal to child care and being a good hostess. It has been invaluable to me and should be put back on the curriculum. Too many kids leave school today without the basic cooking skills needed especially if they go to uni.

Downloads
    Uploads
    well at my school we do it in year 7 or 8 and then we start electives in year 9 but it was the best class we made some great stuff and your right it does cover heaps of things and you do really need it for when your older i think it should be i wish i had it now but i had to choose it if i wanted it and yeah but yeah i loved it it should definitely we apart of high school or something =D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast