Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Fran

HD DVD'S, are they going to be obsolete?

is it worth buying a HD DVD player or will the DVD'S become unavailable to buy?

brett_day2002
    well you can get hd dvd players very cheap now and there is a great library of hd dvds available on that format. However the format war is over and blu ray won! Apart from a few more titles that were already due to release in may there will be no more hd dvd releases, so the current collection of films that are already out will be all thats available. There are roughly 1000 hd dvd movies out right now, the hd dvd format is region free so you can buy movies from anywhere in the world and they will work. You will still be able to build a decent catalog of hd dvds but don;t expect any new releases past may!

The current ones though are selling for about 50/60% off regular value as retailers are looking to clear out hd dvd! I have a hd dvd player and will be taking advantage of the closeout deals and i will have a great collection of movies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    HDDVD is basically the Beta Drive of the DVD market. DVD's will be around for awhile longer (like VHS), but besides that Microsoft just announced that they are abandoning making more HDDVD drives.

Blu-Ray has officially won the DVD war and will become the next mainstream media format.

Martin M
    I'm waiting to see whether Blu-Ray Or HD-DVD become more successfull, I dont want to be going out to buy a £400- £1000 D.V.D player if its just going to become redundant in a couple months.

my bet is on Blu-Ray becoming most successful because of Sony building a blu-ray disc player into thier PS3's but i'm just goint to watch and wait

Good Question thouhg, and ihope this helps.

Joy M
    Pretty much, there was a recent format war between HD DVD and BluRay. The company that developed HD DVD and that produced HD DVD players, Toshiba, announced on February 19 of this year that they would no longer produce the HD DVD players. Several large retailers have made the decision not to carry HD DVD discs and, pretty soon, the companies that produce the discs will stop in favour of traditional DVD and Blu Ray, if they haven't already.

steveaslink
    NO do not buy HD dvds

Everyone is dropping the format and they will be useless!

Waste of money. Save for blueray..they just offically won the format war. By christmas blueray prices will drop big time!

MoronicMo
    I'd say you should buy a Blu-Ray Player because sooner or later the HD DVD's are going to become out of production due to HD DVD losing the form at war between Blu-Ray. I dont reccomend you buying a HD DVD Player, seems rather pointless

Downloads
    Uploads
    they won't be obsolete so far as you can't get them or play them, but the tide is turning toward bluray apparently