Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I kick in soccer properly?

This about the instep drive. First of all is your body meant to be straight (like normal standing or running) or leaning (like you're about to fall over to the opposite side of your kicking foot)? Also does it change for low or high shots? Next, does your kicking foot have it's toes pointing straight down (stand up then bend one of your knees while keeping your toe on the ground, like that) or does it come to the outside of the ball (so your whole foot will be about 45 degrees to the ball? And does it change for low/high shots? And is your standing foot meant to be beside or in front of the ball?

Next is how do I cross a soccer ball, people say to ust the inside of my foot but then I can't get any power or height, what am I doing wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Instep Drive:
    When using your instep for power hit the ball square or slightly above center and lean slightly forward, *slightly*. This will keep the ball low, which is ideal for finessing the ball into the corners of the goal or passing to team mates. Be sure to have your plant or standing foot beside the ball, not behind or in front of it. Leaning back does change the height of the ball as long as you use your foot properly. You must make sure that your foot is angled like a 7-iron in golf. Your foot will be across the ball. THe follow through of your kick changes the effect of the ball after you kick it. Following through with your foot low to the ground gives the ball more distance. If your foot come towards your body after you kick it will put top spin on the ball causing it to drop faster. Bring your foot across your body to put curve on it. Leaning back and angling your shot up is effectively the same thing as chipping the ball, which is most used in crossing.

*With any shot or cross, use your hips to turn and aim*.
    *Also with any kick, most of your power is generated from the "snap" of your lower leg. (From the knee down)*

Aiming your toes straight down and over the ball is called lacing it. plant your non shooting foot beside the ball and hit the ball square in the middle with the part of your foot that is in between your toes and shoestrings. lean over the ball to keep it low and hard, or lean back to get it higher.
    Hope this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do it leaning for power I guess but not like falling forward, I guess sometimes I stand straight up when I dont have to pass it very hard. To kick it high you want your foot under the ball, with your laces. When my toe is pointed straight down, it doesnt go in the air but stays on the ground, but it goes really fast. If you hit it hard and nail it like your taking a shot it will go fast on the ground. Your standing foot is beside the ball. I use my laces to cross the ball. LIke your taking a super high shot , just loft it. THings work for different people though, do what works for you better.