Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stuck between two upconverting DVD players, and no idea what I'm doing --...

...please help compare? I have an older (2003?) widescreen HDTV whose manual reports that it has "480i, 480p, and 1080i wide-screen picture formats/signals". I understand that a higher number's better than a lower number, and that "p" is better than "i". I also currently have a regular (older ~ lol) progressive scan DVD player (with no HDMI connection).

My goal is to go one step up from a "regular" progressive scan player, but NOT all the way to Blu-Ray. How it appears is that "the next step up" would technically mean that I'm getting either an "upconverting" player --OR-- an "HD-DVD" player (with an HDMI connection). However... I don't know the difference between an "HD-DVD" player and an "upconverting" player, because as I understand it, an "HD-DVD" player still "upconverts"...!? (As does Blu-Ray, when needed.)

The two players I'm fretting over are:

(A) "HD-DVD": Samsung's DVD-HD850 single-disc, progressive scan DVD player enhances video performance by increasing the video resolution of ordinary DVD titles and up-converting them to HDTV compliant formats (720p/768p/1080i), enabling you to enjoy an HDTV compliant picture-roughly twice the resolution of progressive scan DVD players.

vs.

(B) "UPCONVERTING": The Samsung DVD-1080P9 DVD Player brings your home theater experience to a whole new level with superb HD DVD imagery and exquisite digital audio sound. Your current DVD library will look and sound better than ever before, because this is a progressive scan DVD player, capable of upconverting your DVDs to a 720p/1080i and 1080p Full HD experience.

Wha!? My question is...: Can someone please explain the difference between an "HD-DVD" player and an "upconverting" player? Which is better, and why? And does my current progressive scan player just not have that quality of a picture solely because I lack HDMI connections?

Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    According to cnet and other websites up converting dvds make them look more hd'ish. But not really hd. What it does is it up converts the dvds resolution which i think is 720x480 to what your tvs can support 1080i.

DONT get HD-TV as is got killed in the hd war to bluray so get the up converting one.

A big Difference - no not really.

Worth it - because of your tv not capable of 720p and 1080p - no

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I was you, I,d skip the DVD and just get something like the Sony
    BDP-S360 blu-ray, I have the BDP-S350, and the BDP-S550, and PS3,
    all 3 are great machines, that way your ready for blu,s to buy or rent.

I bought a upscale Sony HDMI dvd player and wish I hadn,t. Never use it.