My car is making a whining noise after I take my foot off after accelerating?

mharris06

Jul 5, 2009
Its not constant. at first it was just at red lights and such, but now its just random (even while driving down highway) but still mostly after I begin to accelerate and let go of pedal (my pedal sticks). It almost sounds like a faint horn or whining sound. What could be causing this?

About six months ago when I would turn my car my horn started going off, I unhooked it for a few days and it was fine. I don't know if there would be any connection there.
its an 01 nissan altima. And after hearing that my allternator could be causing the problem Im starting to think it probbaley is going bad because I have noticed that my lights dim when I'm using power else where (my battery is fairly new)

It sounds like an alternator problem but it could be the pulley/fan on the alternator is spinning due to a loose bearing that is worn or was installed improperly if the alternator has been replaced in recent months or years. They don't always install the new alternator bearings properly or torque the nut that clamps the little fan blade to the front of the alternator properly.

To be sure you would need to have someone look under the hood as you gently step on the gas (car in PARK) while you gently step on the accelerator a few times.

Good Luck!

It would be nice to know what kind of car. I had a friend that had this problem on his Escalde.. If the noise is coming from the rear, when you release the acclerator, it could be inside your rear end.. I would have it looked at ASAP. casue you will be paying for it later, if you dont

go and visit the local mechanic and get him to assess your problem ... but it does ''ring'' to me that you need some new belts on your engine... or you have a vacuum leak on the motor -----------THAT'S why I do suggest you get the problem looked AT ....

Back