Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is the Mayan prophecy of the end of the world in 2012 real or fake?

I'm really freaked out about this end of the world in 2012 thing. Is it real or not because everytime i seem to look for answers some people say yes others say no. I am so scared about this that everyday i live in fear that we will all die in 2012. I am scared OK i have actually thought about commiting suicide over this. So could someone please tell me if the world as we know it will cease to exist in 2012?

Downloads
    Uploads
    THe Mayans "possibly predicted"! that by 2012 the human race would have been destroyed by, what as far as I know from other sources, will be a flood. Though while this is predicted, the Bible clearly states after Noah and the flood that God would never destroy the earth again by flood, and it says near the end of the Bible that God will send his son Jesus back to earth. It is also said the Mayans predicted this because of what was happening around themselves. They saw that our race could be very violent, and that we would end up killing ourselves, which in their case would be the year 2012. The Mayans were a very advanced civilization who were capable of doing high leveled math and looked toward the stars and astronomy alignments to predict. There have been other predictions the world would end, such as Y2K, which was not true, so if all the other "doomsday" predictions came true, We wouldn't be here right now. Now while the Mayans said a evil leader would rise up, which did, there were many evil leaders, and I mean there's bound to be at least 1 right? They also predicted other prophecies that came "true" yet it would be confusing if they hadn't as they were so simple. If you still have questions, feel free to email me. PS!: They did not exactly "predict the end of the world" but rather just ended their calendar, why? don't ask me i have no clue. Some say their was a prophecy, some say not. Either way, the chances of that happening are VERY slim, like 1 to 32984923804382948320 times 50 or somethin

Junior Member vintagehesscollector's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If all the end-of-world prophecies were true, we'd have all died a long time ago. Remember the Millennium bug, where all the computers in the world were going to break down?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mayans never predicted the end of the world.

Here is NASA's 2012 hoax question and answer web site:

http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-astrobiologist/intro/nibiru-and-doomsday-2012-questions-and-answers

Downloads
    Uploads
    so many of the "prophecies" were just lies.

Some guy writes a book about the Mayans, then someone else writes another quoting the first guy and making up some anecdote about how he said this or that, then another book comes around using as evidence, quotes from both previous books, not knowing or caring that neither was correct or even correctly quoted...

You would think there is a Plagiarism Police, but there isn't.

So, we go on... today, they estimate over a THOUSAND books have been written about 2012! Care to guess how many are based WHOLLY on false information?

Forget the Mayans. Just go on living, but consider for a moment how crazy the whole idea of "seeing the future" really is. If you think its possible, try playing the Lotto. Math is humbling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Mayans did NOT predict the end of the world. The Mayans just had a VERY long calendar, and that "Long Count" calendar ends in 2012. However, since there are no longer any Mayans around, they can't publish the next calendar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fake, the Mayans made no prophecy except perhaps party time.

The details behind 21 December 2012 make no sense at all. The originator of the so-called prophecy studied at the University of Chicago in Arts more than 40 years ago. He was Jose Arguelles then. He now says time is faster than light (whatever that means) and that the way we measure time is harmful to all life on Earth (how does that work?).

He now calls himself Valum Voltan and says he is the re-incarnation of a Mayan priest and lives in New Zealand, last I heard. All this stuff was based on the fact that a Mayan count of days runs out of numbers on 21 or 23 December by our calendar. That has as much to do with the Mayan counting system as anything else. The Mayans counted by 20, then by 18s then by 20 again and so on.

The Mayans were pretty fair naked eye astronomers for a stone age people and had enough sense not to predict anything at all, except maybe party time. I reckon they were smarter than Arguelles.

But crazy as Arguelles ideas are, he did not say the world would end on 21 December 2012. All he said was that this would be the beginning of a new era. That was about 20 years ago.

Since then, people who are just as batty, but in a different way have grabbed his ideas and run away with them. Terence McKenna was an habitual user of mescalin, LSD or magic mushrooms and wrote down visions. He also produced a special (mis)interpretation of the I Ching, and when it didn’t quite fit 2012 he fudged it.

Another called Nancy Lieder claimed that aliens had abducted her about 1993 and told her that a planet called X would pass close to the Earth and cause a magnetic pole shift and other damage. That would be in 2003. Since it didn't come, she started making up stories of how it was a trial to test the governments of the world and that the planet would appear later. She usually says 2012 as far as I know.

Apart from Voltan, Mc Kenna and Lieder, others have jumped on the bandwagon and have predicted everything from bees dying to collisions with stray planets. There are supposed to be alignments with the other planets or the centre of the galaxy, a photon belt, crossings of the galactic central plane and on and on none of which will happen. And dear old Nostradamus and Edgar Cayce get quoted too, as if anyone believes that stuff.

The promoters of this, including the History Channel are vicious liars and only in it for the money. They are trying to sell "survival" supplies, shelters, books, videos and what all, but to do that you have to frighten people first.

http://2012hoax.wikidot.com/start

http://www.abhota.info/

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar/action?sys=-Si

http://eclectech.co.uk/mindcontrol.php

Downloads
    Uploads
    Neither, it does not exist. They Mayans never predicted the end of the world in 2012, it is simply the end of the Mezo-American Long Count calender, sort of like a super New Year.

Here is my standard "Shorter" answer for this (the long answer does not fit):

SHORTER ANSWER:

December 21, 2012 marks the end of one of the Meso-American Long Count calendar cycles. This is the third recorded cycle and the fourth will begin right after.

Some people have started stories about this and said that the end of the cycle will mark everything from the end of the world to a new age of enlightenment. They have written books, wrote articles and appeared on television with their theories and generally made a pretty penny doing so. It is for their profit that they keep this story alive by spreading fear, apprehension and worry throughout the reading (and book buying) public.

There is nothing to these theories and there is nothing to be concerned about. The world will continue the same way it always has and these people will find another pet topic to try and fool the public into keeping them living the life style they have become accustomed to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Neither, it does not exist. They Mayans never predicted the end of the world in 2012, it is simply the end of the Mezo-American Long Count calender, sort of like a super New Year.

Here is my standard "Shorter" answer for this (the long answer does not fit):

SHORTER ANSWER:

December 21, 2012 marks the end of one of the Meso-American Long Count calendar cycles. This is the third recorded cycle and the fourth will begin right after.

Some people have started stories about this and said that the end of the cycle will mark everything from the end of the world to a new age of enlightenment. They have written books, wrote articles and appeared on television with their theories and generally made a pretty penny doing so. It is for their profit that they keep this story alive by spreading fear, apprehension and worry throughout the reading (and book buying) public.

There is nothing to these theories and there is nothing to be concerned about. The world will continue the same way it always has and these people will find another pet topic to try and fool the public into keeping them living the life style they have become accustomed to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If one lives in constant fear then what kind of life is that? Forget about that 2012 crap and live your life because what if you dont go and get your education, maintain a job, or maintain personal relationships and 2012 does not happen, what will you do then if your life is screwed up based on a false prophecy?

2012 is not a prediction for the end of the universe, just a date when the Mayan calendar stops like the end of a time period or a certain age. Many ages have ended, such as the predeluvian and the antediluvian (before and after the flood). That was destruction by water and was an end of an age and we are here.

I and every human on the planet cannot be sure if we are all going to be pushing up daisies or if we shall meet our maker by december 2012 until it happens,,so my advice is do not feed into the panic and live your life to the fullest because we all will die no one has the strength to overcome death. You could die in 5 minutes from a brain aneurism or get hit by a car. So just live the best life you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast