Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

meaning of self defeating,and self fufilling prophecy?

can anyone explain theese to me thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    A self-defeating prophecy is one that does not come true, although it might have if it had never been spoken outloud. A self-fulfilling prophesy is the opposite - it comes true because it was made, even though it might not have happened otherwise.

A self-fulfilling prophecy might be something like a respected financial paper saying "Stock in ABC company will go down because everyone is going to sell it." People believe this, and don't want to be holding on to the stock when it goes down. They all rush out to sell it before that can happen. The prophecy is thereby fulfilled - but only because the prophecy was made.

A self defeating prophecy might be if the newspaper said "Everyone is going to throw away their souvineer glasses. Therefore, next year they will be rare and valuable." People who read that would hang on to these glasses, even though they might have thrown them away. Since so many people decide to keep them, they do not become rare or valuable.

Does that make sense?

Downloads
    Uploads
    A self-fulfilling prophecy is when you say something and it comes true. Ex: "I just know no matter how much I study I'm going to fail that math test tomorrow." You study for hours and you do indeed fail the test...a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's a prediction you make that is realized.

Self-defeating is just a general attitude you have where you are full of negativity about anything you do and you therefore bring yourself down by your own approach to things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A self-fulfilling prophecy is when you say something and it comes true. Ex: "I just know no matter how much I study I'm going to fail that math test tomorrow." You study for hours and you do indeed fail the test...a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's a prediction you make that is realized.

Self-defeating is just a general attitude you have where you are full of negativity about anything you do and you therefore bring yourself down by your own approach to things.