computor saying dvd disk is a cd?

littlevixen

Jun 21, 2009
when i put a dvd rw into the computor to put a film onto it, the computor says it is a cd not a dvd, why does it do this, i now cant play the dvd on my dvd player only on the computor, thank you

Could be that your DVD has come to the end of it's life. They do wear out and become more unreliable if you've recorded over it hundreds of times. Have you tried a new DVD? or try one that's not RW.
Could be the software you use to write DVD's has been set to record CD's, or the DVD laser in the drive is failing.

cd's and dvd's are the smae, dvd's just have more space on them. what you are copying onto it probably isn't in the right format to be played on your dvd player.

If it is an old cd burner then it may not recognise cd-rw format, you can update the firmware for burners by searching for it on the internet. Some firmwares also remove speed restrictions from the drives & improve their performance. First check that it is not a dvd rom drive, in that it burns cd's but only reads dvd's.

is the dvd in a format your computer can use ?

ie : +rw or -rw

if this is the first time you have tried to write to a DVD then perhaps your comp's burner can't handle DVD burning.

?

im glad i can help you here. your computer is the devil. It must be appeased. you cannot renege upon the arrangements you have made with it, It will begin telling you to ram things in your dirt box, like cd's and dvd's, and driveshafts and bearing cases and con rods, This will make the beast calm. The next stage is the procession of the filthy, rusty bullet wound. This will involve the playing of very loud ceilidh music, whilst the serpintine of geirnish will destroy your dirtbox. enjoy.

is the dvd in a format your computer can use ?

ie : +rw or -rw

if this is the first time you have tried to write to a DVD then perhaps your comp's burner can't handle DVD burning.

?

Back