Would it be illegal for me to torrent StarCraft: Brood War because my CD

MreSacman

Jun 15, 2009
is scratched beyond use? My disc is scratched all around the outer edge. I've tried manually extracting it, but I get stuck at somewhere past 90% before the data becomes unreadable.

In other words, I can't install the expansion pack anymore. A recent error caused me to have to reinstall StarCraft. I got the original down, but my Brood War CD doesn't work.

Would it be illegal to torrent Brood War as a result?

I believe that even though you already own a copy, it would still be illegal. You are allowed to have a single digital backup of a game, but you have to create the backup yourself - downloading it is breaking copyright law and probably intellectual property law and who knows what else.

You might want to try a disc "cleaner" - they buff out the top layer of a disc and will usually help with a good number of the scratches.

Or you could torrent it anyway, as it's highly unlikely that you'll get caught, but you'll still be breaking the law...

If you own the original copy is ok. But it doesn't even really matter because they're aren't really going to catch you or anything if you live in the US.

If you own the original copy is ok. But it doesn't even really matter because they're aren't really going to catch you or anything if you live in the US.

I'm not sure how you go about this but you should be able to have a replacement CD sent to you.
They will charge you for Shipping and Handling, I have never done it but heard about it.
You will have to contact them and give them the bad CD.

Here you go: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20666&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2612

Back