Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why is Jesus Christ never mentioned by name in the Old Testament?

There is supposes to be all kinds of prophecies of Jesus in the Old Testament. If that is true why is he never mentioned by name?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jesus was the name given to him here on the earth. You are correct that there are many prophecies regarding Jesus 300 infact.

Jesus was not the NT name of God.

Matt. 4:10: “Jesus said to him: ‘Go away, Satan! For it is written, “It is Jehovah [“the Lord,” KJ and others] your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.”’” (Jesus was obviously not saying that he himself was to be worshiped.)

John 8:54: “Jesus answered [the Jews]: ‘If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father that glorifies me, he who you say is your God.’” (The Hebrew Scriptures clearly identify Jehovah as the God that the Jews professed to worship. Jesus said, not that he himself was Jehovah, but that Jehovah was his Father. Jesus here made it very clear that he and his Father were distinct individuals.)

The Bible contains the personal names of only two angels, Gabriel (meaning “Able-Bodied One of God”) and Michael (Who Is Like God?). Perhaps so as not to receive undue honor or veneration, angels at times did not reveal their names to persons to whom they appeared.—Ge 32:29; Jg 13:17,*18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Religious crap is much too vague to ever predict anything by name...

Junior Member r_u_really_that_scared's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    why do you ask??

(1) Some time before 500 B.C. the prophet Daniel proclaimed that Israel's long-awaited Messiah would begin his public ministry 483 years after the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem (Daniel 9:25-26). He further predicted that the Messiah would be "cut off," killed, and that this event would take place prior to a second destruction of Jerusalem. Abundant documentation shows that these prophecies were perfectly fulfilled in the life (and crucifixion) of Jesus Christ. The decree regarding the restoration of Jerusalem was issued by Persia's King Artaxerxes to the Hebrew priest Ezra in 458 B.C., 483 years later the ministry of Jesus Christ began in Galilee. (Remember that due to calendar changes, the date for the start of Christ's ministry is set by most historians at about 26 A.D. Also note that from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D. is just one year.) Jesus' crucifixion occurred only a few years later, and about four decades later, in 70 A.D. came the destruction of Jerusalem by Titus.
    (Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10 to the 5th power.)*

(2) In approximately 700 B.C. the prophet Micah named the tiny village of Bethlehem as the birthplace of Israel's Messiah (Micah 5:2). The fulfillment of this prophecy in the birth of Christ is one of the most widely known and widely celebrated facts in history.
    (Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10 to the 5th power.)

(3) In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared that the Messiah would be betrayed for the price of a slave—thirty pieces of silver, according to Jewish law-and also that this money would be used to buy a burial ground for Jerusalem's poor foreigners (Zechariah 11:12-13). Bible writers and secular historians both record thirty pieces of silver as the sum paid to Judas Iscariot for betraying Jesus, and they indicate that the money went to purchase a "potter's field," used—just as predicted—for the burial of poor aliens (Matthew 27:3-10).
    (Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10 to the 11th power.)

(4) Some 400 years before crucifixion was invented, both Israel's King David and the prophet Zechariah described the Messiah's death in words that perfectly depict that mode of execution. Further, they said that the body would be pierced and that none of the bones would be broken, contrary to customary procedure in cases of crucifixion (Psalm 22 and 34:20; Zechariah 12:10). Again, historians and New Testament writers confirm the fulfillment: Jesus of Nazareth died on a Roman cross, and his extraordinarily quick death eliminated the need for the usual breaking of bones. A spear was thrust into his side to verify that he was, indeed, dead.
    (Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10 to the 13th power.)

(5) The prophet Isaiah foretold that a conqueror named Cyrus would destroy seemingly impregnable Babylon and subdue Egypt along with most of the rest of the known world. This same man, said Isaiah, would decide to let the Jewish exiles in his territory go free without any payment of ransom (Isaiah 44:28; 45:1; and 45:13). Isaiah made this prophecy 150 years before Cyrus was born, 180 years before Cyrus performed any of these feats (and he did, eventually, perform them all), and 80 years before the Jews were taken into exile.
    (Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10 the 15th power.)

(6) Mighty Babylon, 196 miles square, was enclosed not only by a moat, but also by a double wall 330 feet high, each part 90 feet thick. It was said by unanimous popular opinion to be indestructible, yet two Bible prophets declared its doom. These prophets further claimed that the ruins would be avoided by travelers, that the city would never again be inhabited, and that its stones would not even be moved for use as building material (Isaiah 13:17-22 and Jeremiah 51:26, 43). Their description is, in fact, the well-documented history of the famous citadel.
    (Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10 to the 9th power.)

(7) The exact location and construction sequence of Jerusalem's nine suburbs was predicted by Jeremiah about 2600 years ago. He referred to the time of this building project as "the last days," that is, the time period of Israel's second rebirth as a nation in the land of Palestine (Jeremiah 31:38-40). This rebirth became history in 1948, and the construction of the nine suburbs has gone forward precisely in the locations and in the sequence predicted.
    (Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10 to the 18th power.)

(8) The prophet Moses foretold (with some additions by Jeremiah and Jesus) that the ancient Jewish nation would be conquered twice and that the people would be carried off as slaves each time, first by the Babylonians (for a period of 70 years), and then by a fourth world kingdom (which we know as Rome). The second conqueror, Moses said, would take the Jews captive to Egypt in ships, selling them or giving them away as slaves to all parts of the world. Both of these

Downloads
    Uploads
    for the same reason that obama wasnt mentioned in bush's statements.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My belief teaches me to be kind and thoughtful,with forgiveness & mercy .
    Then i meet a person who says they have read the bible 3 times,and was of the Pentecostals for 16yrs becomes a sargent,then a police officer. My dear fellow human being,where do i get on? never mind where do i get off? You know the answer so why do you ask?
    The answer is, the Spirit of God says,seek with a good heart and ask and it will be given if you are sincere and finally what good is a name if it has no meaning to You.? Of course i could be wrong,but if you have read the bible 3 times and don't understand the Spirit and your Pentecostal who could explain it to you?<>

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good question. Are you aware that the virgin birth also was not mentioned in the old testament? The books do not correlate on a number of other things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Different bunch of nutters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hahahahahahhaa
    i think this made my day

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not a Christian, but I am sick and tired of your posts against Christ, son of Mary. Are you paid to write against him?

Christ came long after OT. Does OT mentions David, Solomon, Zacharia or John the Baptist, who came before him, by name ?

Muhammad Javed Iqbal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast