What's the difference between Judaism and Christianity?

Emmiie

May 19, 2009
I know it sounds like such a stupid question. BVut i SERIOUSLY don't see the difference between Christianity and Judaism. I've read a little bit of both the bible and the torah, and it seems exactly the same! What's the difference?!?!

THANKS!!!
guys ok i have a good amout of mean answers...
im only freikin' 12 years old! I know it's a stupid quesion. :_((((

the difference is that Christians believe that jesus was there Messiah (savor) and jews believe that their messiah hasn't come yet, other than that they are the same. for christianity came from judaism, Jesus was a jew.

Christians believe that Jesus was the Messiah (son of God). The Jews did not believe so. Jesus was born Jewish; and it was Jesus who introduced Christianity.

haha did he rlly say jews don,t believe in jesus son rofl omg listen jews r like christian but jews celebrate passover and 2 cycle festival spring autum they celebrate the release of children from bondage christanity celebrate jesus dieing on the cross for us there thesame jews r the first religon to discover god which is known as yahweh to them moses is a jew god is a jew/christian same though jews also believe the messiah means annointed one they believe the messiah tells thoughs who evil shall be punishthose who good reward also believe messiah marks the end of history and the begining of gods holy kingdom on earth doh there symbol is differnt jews star of david christian the cross they kiss the mezaha coming in and out of their house they took the name from detroanamy 6 verse 4 thats all i o and that theycelebrate rosh hasana and yomkippuryomkippur is the end of roshhasana its the jews holy year they don,t eat for 24hr and they spend their time in a synagoue praying for their sin synagoue is where they worship they have the scroll of ten commandmment in the ark of synagogue the ark is a cupboard set eastern wall facing jerusalem roshhaana last for ten day and end with yomkippur they also got a festival on light but im tired can,t talk if u wnt to rest email me on yahoo answer

gently, young one. People tend to snap at others a lot around here. Just brush it off.

answer: No, the Christian OT and the Jewish Tanakh are NOT the same. They are two separate religions with very differing beliefs.

JUDAISM
- says that no human can ever die for the sins of others
CHRISTIANITY
- says that Jesus died for the sins of mankind

JUDAISM
- says that all humans are born pure, and innocent
CHRISTIANITY
- some say that all humans are born with 'original sin'.

JUDAISM
- says that G-d would never allow/enable a 'virgin birth'
CHRISTIANITY
- says that Mary gave birth, though a virgin

JUDAISM
- says that no man gets a 'second coming'
CHRISTIANITY
- says that Jesus will have a 'second coming'

JUDAISM
- says that every human should speak directly to G-d
CHRISTIANITY
- Jesus claims in the 'new testament' that the 'only way' to G-d is via him

JUDAISM
- says G-d is one, indivisible, cannot be separated into three aspects/incarnations
CHRISTIANITY
- some sects speaks of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit

JUDAISM
- says that we are ALL equally G-d's children
CHRISTIANITY
- says that Jesus was 'god's son' above all others

JUDAISM
- has no concept of 'hell'
CHRISTIANITY
- *some* Christians believe non-believers go to 'hell'

JUDAISM
- has no 'devil', the Jewish 'Satan' is just an ordinary angel, under G-d's control
CHRISTIANITY
- describes 'Satan' as a devil and 'fallen' angel

JUDAISM
- the 'messiah' will be a normal, mortal man who must fulfill all the Jewish messianic prophecies in one normal, mortal lifetime
CHRISTIANITY
- Jesus was the 'messiah' and will fulfill the prophecies when he 'returns'

JUDAISM
- says that the righteous of ALL faiths will reach 'gan eden' or 'garden of eden'.
CHRISTIANITY
- some Christians insist that only those who 'know Christ' can reach heaven

JUDAISM
- forbids Jews from trying to convert anyone to Judaism
CHRISTIANITY
- believes in actively 'witnessing' and encouraging people to convert to Christianity

JUDAISM
- no concept of original sin
CHRISTIANITY
- some sects of Christianity believe in “original sin” to justify the need for a savior. Others believe that humankind cannot keep from sinning and requires a savior to cleanse them.

Thanks Paperback for the majority of this with some tweaking by Qua Patet Orbis and Myself.
http://www.angelfire.com/al/AttardBezzinaLawrenc/JewCathDifference.htm
http://www.ajewwithaview.com

# # #

No, I don't deny the book of Daniel. I deny that the book of Daniel is about the Jewish Messiah. Jews know what the prophecies are and what they aren't. Jesus didn't come close. Christians have a covenant with G-d, Jews have their original ETERNAL covenant. Now if Christians would get over it and stop trying to convince Jews that it takes a Christian to translate the original Hebrew for Jews.....

Jews believe that Jesus was a good man, but not the son of God

Christians do.

Pretty much it, besides the practices.

The huge difference is that the Christians believe the messiah(Jesus) has come and Jews don't, they are still waiting for the messiah to come and save them.

there's no hell in judaism, they have even more crazy laws that they just ignore (have to grow out your hair, have to stone gays, can't eat shellfish or lots of other things)

From what I know, both Judaism and Christianity follow the Old Testament, with minor differences for each religion.

But Christians believe Jesus is the son of God and thus have the New Testament because of that. Jews do not.

What kind of Christianity?

Catholics and some Protestant sects believe in the Trinity (that Jesus IS god as well as being the son of god). They actively worship Jesus.

Both Judaism and Islam (the other major Abrahamic religions) find the idea of worshiping a man abhorrent. Neither of them believe that the Creator of All could become human nor die.

Islam believes that Jesus was a prophet of god but not the only prophet. The Muslims also believe that Jesus did not die on the cross; he was miraculously whisked away and Judas died on the cross instead. Little mention is made of what happened to him after.

Judaism hardly considers Jesus at all. To them he was just one of many doom sayers and insights of riots during the Roman Occupation. He was so insignificant that he did not even make it into any of the records (the one account has been proven to be a forgery).
Judaism also considers EVERYONE to be the "Children of God"; therefore Jesus WAS the son of god... just like everyone else.

ADD:
(First and second century) While the Christians were busy making converts in Rome and writing the books of the New Testament (including the many that were never made canon) the Jews were in the middle of a huge war with Rome. The Jews lost and their nation (Israel) was devastated. The capital city of Jerusalem was literally leveled, and the holy temple was destroyed.
The Christians also threw out all of the Jewish teachings of "fair trial with witnesses" and "we are all loved children of god" replacing it with Original Sin and the Fall. The Christians were becoming more popular and accepting more Roman laws (and throwing out the Jewish ones). The Jews were codifying the Oral Torah/Talmud (the rest of the "Old Testament" that the Christian threw out) trying to get it captured in writing before the Romans could finish scattering them..

Later (4th century) the Early Christians were gathering the books of the New Testament and voting on them, and the Jews were scattered across the globe. Christianity became the religion of the Emperor and ALL of Rome. Jews and Pagans would be persecuted by them for the next 1600 years. That is a long time.

Ruth Katkin gave the best answer. There is a lot more difference than just they do not believe in Jesus. I had a long and lot of conversation through email, here, with someone of the Judaism faith.
They do not believe in Jesus at all. They do not believe the true OT Scriptures for I gave her many, many OT Scriptures which clearly prophesied of Jesus Christ. She/he? denied them all, even to the point of saying they did not believe in the Book of Daniel.
Daniel is the only place is OT where the word, Messiah was mentioned. It proves that within a short time after their going back to rebuild Jerusalem, the Messiah would come and be cut off for the sins of the people.

That person then denied even the Book of Daniel for it proved that Messiah had to have already come, long time ago. They also do not believe that God could have a son or that anyone could die for the sins of the people. They believe they are by nature already filled with God's spirit and have no need for salvation.

Nothing about this false religion fits Christianity. We are not even near kin. People need to study it more and wake up. We are not kin to them at all. They are against everything the Word of God says. I gave this person Psalm 22, clearly revealing the future Crucifixion of Jesus. They again denied the Word. I gave them Zech which proves it. Again, flat denial.
So they deny any part of the OT which conflicts with their man-made religion.

judaism dont think that Jesus was the son of God
They believe he was a prophet, yes, but nothing more

the torah is made up of the first 5 books of the bible
(gen. ex. lev. num. deut.)
i think?

x

I'm sorry, but just have to say it....it is a stupid question. You really could have just skimmed the first paragraph of the Wikipedia page on Judaism and the Wikipedia page on Christianity and gotten the basic difference between the two.

Jesus Christ was a Jew that changed it all and going forward the people that believed in Christ became Christians and the people that didn't believe in Christ stayed Jewish.

Okay I'm a jew and a christian (no joke) old testament is exactly the same. except for maybe poroverbs and psalms. bible new testament.

oy vey!

it's like night and day

judaism believes a good non-jew has a place in the world to come

christianity believes all non-christians will be tormented forever in hell

Back