Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    cinco de mayo casserole.

Measure Ingredient
    1½ cup Yellow cornmeal
    1 teaspoon Salt
    4 cups Cold water
    2 tablespoons Butter/margarine
    1 cup Shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
    5 cups Double-Header Chili (recipe follows), heated
    Toppings:
    1 (8 oz) container sour cream
    2 cups Shredded Romaine or iceberg lettuce
    1 cup Shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
    2 Plum tomatoes, diced

2 Green onions, sliced
    ½ Ripe avocado, diced
    ½ cup Pitted sliced ripe olives

This dish is a hearty chili turned into a party dish by adding a cornmeal layer and a garnish of cut-up vegies. Prep time: 30 minutes plus cooling Cooking time: 25 minutes Cornmeal layer: whisk cornmeal, salt and water together in large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese until melted. Immediately pour cornmeal mixture into shallow 3-quart casserole. cool until firm, 30 minutes. (Can be made ahead. Cover and refrigerat chili and cornmeal layers separately. Assemble casserole, cover and bake in preheatd 375~ oven 1 hour or until heated through.) Preheat oven to 375~. Spread top of casserole with chili. Cover and bake 25 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with toppings. Makes 8 servings. ** Double-Header Chili A no-fuss feast taht makes 2 meals, with or without beans. Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time 2 to 2-1/2 hours 4 lbs. boneless lean beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes 6 cups chopped onions 1 bottle (12 oz) beer 1/2 cup chili powder 6 Tbsp tomato paste 2 Tbsp seeded, minced jalapeno chile 2 Tbsp minced garlic 2 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp ground pepper Preheat oven to 325~. Combine all ingredients in heavy Dutch oven. Cover tightly and cook 2 to 2-1/2 hours, until meat is very tende

Downloads
    Uploads
    taco salad!! make a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, beans, ground beef and anything else you want to throw in. place it in a gallon sized ziploc bags (use as many as you want) shake it up, then distribute its really easy!!! hope this helped,
    eLeCtRiC eElº

Downloads
    Uploads
    by far the easiest mexican dish ever. guacamole

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=guacamole&fnSearchType= site

that other guys dish looks really hard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try the Pillsbury site. They have a lot of easy recipes anyway and they have a cinco de Mayo section.

If it was me, I'd probably do churros and hot chocolate (or warm chocolate) but if you need a savory or main dish, then how about simple cheese quesadillas?

http://www.pillsbury.com/Spring-Cinco-de-Mayo.htm?WT.ac=HP_Right_Feature_Link4

Downloads
    Uploads
    Authentic Mexican Rice

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup uncooked rice -- your choice
    2 cups cold water
    2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
    olive oil
    1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
    small roma tomato, chopped into about 4 pieces
    hot pepper of your choice, sliced lengthwise (I use jalapeno)
    tomato sauce (id say a little less that 1/4 cup)
    1 teaspoon comino seeds (cumin) ground into powder
    1 tablespoon vegan chicken bouillon
    salt, to taste

Directions:

This is an authentic recipe (other than the vegan chicken bouillon) passed down to me by my boyfriends mother, a mexican american who grew up in Texas right on the border with Mexico. Its as authentic as you can get! this is the type of rice I was raised on, and it is wonderful. Some people expect it to be spicier or richer.......I wouldn't call it bland but it is a main staple simple dish, but it can be spiced or dressed up if you want, according to your taste. its versatile!

Put a little olive oil (tbsp or so) into a medium-sized pot and heat to a medium temp. add the rice, uncooked, and brown in the oil. Make sure all the rice is lightly coated with the oil. you do not have to stir the rice around very much at first, while browning, but as the rice becomes browner you want to be stirring it around to make sure it all browns evenly and doesn't burn. It will turn BROWN....its not burning unless its turning dark/black. Towards the end of the browning, add the garlic so that it is sort of sauteed/browned.

Next, dump the water on the rice (it will steam up loudly) and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well and cover (with a small air escape). Reduce heat to medium-low to medium, and let cook for 20-30 minutes. (cooking time and temp varies with your stove....check after 20 min to make sure you don't burn!)

The essential part of this recipe is DO NOT PEEK while the rice is cooking

When it is ready, all the water will be absorbed, the rice will fluff, and each grain will be split open because of the browning. It should be dry, not saucy. You can adjust the spices/peppers to your taste. The recipe can be changed by keeping with the 1 cup rice/2 cups water ratio, and adjusting remaining ingredients.

Goes great with any manner of mexican beans or as a side dish to mexican entrees such as tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc. Also great by itself!

This dish is a staple in my house! it is cheap, easy, and yummy!

Serves: 6 large servings

Preparation time: 30-45 min

Mmmm, almost exactly like I make it. I love the texture you get from sauteeing rice before you boil it. The only thing I would change is to saute the onion slightly before or at the same time as the rice, as opposed to steaming it with all the other ingredients.

Archived comment by: sharway Tastes really authentic! The only changes I made were to use ground cumin rather than the crushed seeds, and I used brown rice. For me, the onion was fine to just steam with the rice. Definitely be making this again and again!

Archived comment by: willwolf I can't tell you how good this was! I just made it for the first time, for dinner tonight. I'm not crazy about rice, but try and eat it a few times a month....but knowing this recipe, I'll be making it alot more! It wasn't all that spicy, like the author stated....but it has a great taste (and I omitted the chicken broth) and great texture and even looked great! I think I screwed up though...as it didn't fluff quite like it was supposed to- I think I have to play a little with the frying part! But it was SO good anyway! Thanks! This is now my favorite rice recipe!

Archived comment by: sirFartsAlot Thanks everyone for the comments! I hope you guys continue to enjoy this recipe....it is a wonderfully cheap, easy, basic food that can feed anyone from a poor college student to an entire family!

Archived comment by: blended One of the best rice dishes I've ever had.

Archived comment by: toho This is not a very flavourful recipe. The texture is awesome though. Perfect for serving with black beans or tofu scramble.

Archived comment by: shinjiko I made this for dinner last night and it came out wonderful! Definitely authentic. Added a bit more jalapeno pepper, but other than that, followed recipe exactly. Thanks for a great recipe, I'll make this often!

Archived comment by: marthamydear I have searched for a tasty mexican rice dish and I FINALLY found what I was looking for. I've tried many others and was usually disappointed in the taste and/or texture of the dish. This dish is VERY tasty without being too spicy or not spicy enough. The texture is great as well. Thank you!

Archived comment by: 41356 i like to add a can of black beans and serve it with a big pot of chili. it goes over really well at potlucks and is ridiculously inexpensive to make en mass.

Archived comment by: bitterasbile i have made this rice so many times, its rid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12