Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Teaching my niece to drive - should we purposely set her up to encounter "real"

dangers while driving? My brother wants to follow us around and kind of come at her like running a stop sign, to see how she'll react if she almost gets hit. I also thought maybe I'd yell something while she was driving like LOOK OUT - even if nothing bad is happening.

Perhaps tell her "turn left at the next stop sign" when I know it's actually a one way, and left would be the wrong way - just to see if she's really paying attention and would do it, or would look carefully first.

I just want her to be really ready in real-life situations, not just some nice pleasant unrealistic driving practice?

Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I kinda like the idea of fake road hazards, but it could backfire - like your brother might really hit her by accident. Yelling "look out" when there is no hazard is not a good idea, it'd just distract her with unnecessary anxiety. The idea while driving is to be relaxed alert and on the defensive. When you're first learning to drive you tend to be on pretty high alert anyway. It's only when you develop habits that you become complacent and lose your defensiveness.

I like the idea of ambiguous or incorrect direction to keep her on her toes and force her to think actively ahead, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OMFG..
    This is not only setting up your daughter's murder and your own suicide.. Everyone else on the road gets to be put in danger too!!!

You are mean. Its like you dont trust her, and if she is JUST learning.. give her a break and grow up.

By the way, If she does wreck.. I hope its YOUR side of the car.. and I hope YOU get to pay for all of the damages.

Downloads
    Uploads
    no way why take a chace of wrecking your own car really not smart.. real-life situations wil get soon enough shouldnt fool a round any

Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah ask an 8 wheeler driver to run a red alight yeah that'll teach her

Junior Member Friendoftheanimalworld's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No. Explanations and cautions should be enough. You might make her too nervous and she won't be able to learn or she could have an accident. Just teach her like you would teach anything else. The way some drivers drive today she might get some real practice she didn't ask for, I hope not but best of luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    NO, don't scream something out of nowhere when she's driving. You don't know how much that freaks me out, that's not a good idea.

Downloads
    Uploads
    NO! hahaha

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, what if she doesn't react quickly enough and your car gets wrecked or something? As a new driver just let her learn how to drive the car first and get comfortable with it before you start throwing things at her.

Personal Story: When I was learning how to drive, we were pulling into the driveway..my mom (being her normal anxious self) didn't think I was going to stop, even though I was and screamed STOOOOP!..it freaked me out so bad I slammed on the gas and went through the garage door.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You must want high insurance rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast