Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Beagles and labs

Downloads
    Uploads

Dog breeds for the outdoors?

I am looking for medium sized dog breeds that would be good at handling the outdoors. That would be able to handle a lot of hiking and stuff. Are there any specific breeds that you recomend?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran into a guy once who did endurance cross-country running- 20 miles a day with a labrador retriever who was ahead of him (according to him at least,) the entire way.

Try any of the hunting breeds- labs, goldens, pointers, etc. All the ones that would go out and hunt in the wild all day- since wildlife tends to not be frequently found in urban areas it generally involves hiking and that should suit your purposes well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lab, Weimaraner, German Shep., Look in to weimaraner especially, they're kinda big like labs but have a thinner frame. Mini pins are also good running dogs, they have TONS of energy. rhodesian ridgebacks have AMAZING endurance but can be tempermental. A collie would probally be best, given their size and background but you also have a big grooming aspect to them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got an American Staffordshire terrier, she is about 40- 50 lbs, she walks great on a leash and I'm sure she will do fine when we start taking the leash off. So far we have brought her on a 3 mile hike everyday since we've gotten her, she does great, we get tired out before her, and the best part is she's pooped when she gets home so she is very chill indoors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any Retriever breed (good for both in and outdoors.) Belgian Shepherds (malinois) German Shepherds (large for medium sizers.) Alaskan or Siberian Huskies love the outdoors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree to all pointers/retrievers. they take ALOT of spare time and bark alot if outside and arnt medium sized. I suggest an American Pit Bull Terrier, Rott, or American BullDog.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Golden retrievers are wikid athletic medium sized dogs, they can surely do anything you tell them to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Labrador retrievers and german shepherds...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't happen to like the idia of a dog remaining out side. But if you must make sure that the coat will protect it from cold. You must keep an eye on the dog for hot spots fleas ticks and Meany other ailments. If the pet is wet for too long that can cause hot spots and infections and some times maggots. this is why I do not like the idia.

My dane how ever on warm days loves to sleep out in the sun all day long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast