Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

I m a vegan. i cant eat chicken/fish/meat. Can i eat grilled cottage...

...cheese(paneer) instead.Nutrition is same? i m looking for some high protein low cal vegan food for dinner. Is grilled cottage cheese the only thing or is there any other alternative

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cottage cheese is considered a "meat" product by vegans because it comes from animals.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're a vegetarian then, vegans don't eat cheese, any dairy or g or anything that comes from an animal as well as their meat.
    NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS!!~~

Junior Member Information_Junkie's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Vegans try not to eat any animal products, not even dairy or eggs. Paneer is a dairy product.

Some non-vegan vegetarians will consume dairy and/or eggs in small quantities.

Some will use a processed form of soy cheese or tofu in place of paneer. If you do this, consider only organic tofu or soy product.

A good source of protein are dishes with legumes, beans, lentils. Consider, some high protein grains to pair with the beans such as quinoa.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can't have cheese if you're a vegan. Vegans don't eat anything that comes from an animal, including dairy and eggs.

If you're just vegetarian (not vegan) and you got the terms mixed up, then yes, paneer is fine. It's coagulated with lemon juice rather than rennet.

There are tons of other foods out there. Legumes are great, some grains are wonderful, seeds and nuts can be eaten... there is no lack of vegetarian food.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you consume cottage cheese you are not vegan.

For protein, try legumes (lentils, chickpeas, beans), quinoa and tofu. To get all essential amino acids in one hit, peanut butter on wholemeal bread. Quinoa also has all amino acids in it.

Junior Member mellolikejello@ymailecom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    unless it's dairy-free than no. Vegans don't eat any chicken, fish poultry or anything made by an animal such as eggs, honey, milk and dairy products etc. For protien, you should have lentils or tofu, or even better, tempeh.
    Here's some information on protein-rich vegan food you can use as a giude;
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

Hope i've been able to help!

Downloads
    Uploads
    eating paneer does not make you vegan. You are classified as a Lacto-vegetarian, not a vegan. Vegans do not eat any animal products, including cheese.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pushkar,

Paneer is made with Grade A milk. Vegans cannot eat/drink dairy products. I make fresh paneer pretty much every week. I recommend all my vegetarian friends to have milk/yogurt/paneer for protein. But if you are a vegan than you should have soy milk and dry fruits to get the nutrition. Fresh vegetables are also good. try to add vegetable soup and lentil soup in your diet. They will give you all the nutrition you need. If you have tasted Paneer before than it will be harder not to eat. it. But you can substitute Paneer with Tofu. Tofu is more healthy, looks same as paneer and have less fat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you mean vegan or vegetarian? Vegans eat no animal products, vegetarians eat no meat but generally eat some dairy products (cheeses, butter, etc) and sometimes eggs.

Paneer is high in protein, similar or slightly lower to meats. Other alternatives would be beans, lentils, nuts and soy products like tofu. There are a lot of other foods though, look up the phrase vegan (or vegetarian) protein sources on google. If you can eat milk products paneer is a good substitute but lower in iron and some other nutrients than meats/chicken. You may want to add some extra iron-rich foods like spinach, lentils and beans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast