Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Christians only please. Smoking, sin or not? Explain...?

I'm interested in seeing the different ways you can explain why it is or is not a sin. I have my own way of interpreting, just looking to see how many others are out there.

Short answers are not what I am looking for in this posting, thanks.
    If your hurting the holy temple by doing so, then what about the people that are inflicted? Is there bodies a discrace? This is why I can't go with this understanding of wrong, thanks though for answering!
    The addiction is what I thought about for years too. The thing is, I can put them down for any length of time for him to come first so doesn't that knock out that as a reason? Is it still an addiction if it doesn't come before him?

Wow, truth slave, neat answer, something to think on today, thanks!
    Haven't heard it put that way before..

Junior Member Pandabearreturnsagain's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How can it be a sin when they didnt even know smoking was bad for you back then (went the wrote the bible)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do you care if someone else sins? Are you asking for assitance in making your determination as to whether or not you should quit?

If you think it is a sin, quit. If you think it is a sin, and then continue, it presupposes that you have a 'heart of rebellion'.

So, if you enjoy smoking, don't ask questions like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a sin your body is your temple.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Smoking shows disrespect for the gift of life. as it says in Act 17:24-23 'The God that made the world and all the things in it... gives all persons life and breath and all things'.
    The evidence that cigarettes shorten the life is overwhelming; smoking is probably the largest single preventable cause of ill health in the world. is it consistant for a person to present himself to God for sacred service and then deliberately ruin his health? No it should not.
    in Romans 12:1 it says that 'I entreat you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies as a scarifice living, holy and acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power if reason.'

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a liberal Christian, the general interpretation of a sin regarding your own body is this: the body is the temple of God, anything that damage your body is a sin.
    This includes smoking, eating unhealthy food, piercing, etc

Downloads
    Uploads
    Smoking is a sin because your supposed to treat your body as your temple to God. but if you think about it eating bacon isn't very good for your temple either, neither is sitting on your butt all day watching TV so I think it is a sin but I don't think it's any worse than anything else thats bad for your physical health.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, smoking for one can become an addiction.. which is not God's will.. smoking is harmful to the body.. God does not want us harm ourselves.. smoking does no good.. it only costs a ton of money.. What does sin mean literally "to miss the mark or to miss the target" If we're aiming to please God I'd say smoking is a sin.. will someone go to hell for smoking I don't think but I'm not the judge

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have freedom in Christ to do whatever you want to do. but as a child of God what is it you really want to do?

1 Corinthians 6:12
    "Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

it is not a sin, as per the definition of sin, but it is not beneficial and you could be shorting yourself and God out of good usefull years later on, year that could be used to bring people to Jesus.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have freedom in Christ to do whatever you want to do. but as a child of God what is it you really want to do?

1 Corinthians 6:12
    "Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

it is not a sin, as per the definition of sin, but it is not beneficial and you could be shorting yourself and God out of good usefull years later on, year that could be used to bring people to Jesus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast