Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member wednesdaycalvin@ymailecom's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are some cheap meal ideas/recipes that are kid friendly?

i have a four year old son...he is not picky and loves veggies..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Red Bean Tortilla Soup

HERE'S ALL IT TAKES

1 small yellow onion, chopped
    1 small red or orange bell pepper, chopped
    3 celery stalk, chopped
    2 medium carrots, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    6 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
    1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with garlic & onions
    1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers
    1 whole green chili, finely chopped
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    8 corn tortillas
    2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked red beans
    In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil over medium-low heat, add onions, celery, and carrots then cook until vegetables soften, 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder and cook for up to 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add the chicken or vegetable stock, tomatoes with their juices, green chili, cilantro, salt and pepper. Cut the tortillas into 1/2 inch strips and add to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Add the cooked red beans and check the level of salt & pepper. Allow the red beans to heat through a few minutes. Then, YOU'RE READY TO CHOW DOWN!

Budget Friendly Red Beans and Rice with Sausage

Ever have those nights when it just looks like there's nothing to eat, but it turns out you had something delicious all along?

Well, the other night this is all I had on hand. Two cups of cooked leftover pinto beans, 1 cup rice and one package of skinless sausage.

First, I cut the sausage into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and seared them in a large pot over medium high. The beans were too cold to throw directly in the pot, so I warmed them up in the microwave, then added to the large pot.

Next, I tossed in

1 cup of dried parboiled rice
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 1/4 cup water.
    I may have added more water to keep the ingredients from getting too thick. When the liquid came to a strong simmer, I covered the pot and turned down the heat to low. I made sure to cook the rice for 20 minutes. Then removed the large pot from heat and allowed to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. The extra liquid has a chance to thicken while it cooled down.

While the rice was doing it's thing, I made a quick batch of moist cornbread muffins. Everything was ready to eat at the same time and everyone was pleased.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Penne noodles with permesean, butter, & sliced carrots & zuchinni. The pieces are big enough for young children to handle w/o problem & substituting whole wheat penne or even boe tie pasta can make for a very healthy meal!
    For protein: rub a chicken breast in salt & pepper & any other dried herbs you like, then let chill in the firdge for half-one hour. Then, dip the chicken breats in a mixture of one cup yogurt & 3 tbsp. Oil. Place on a wire rack on a backing sheet. Broil in the oven on the second to top rack for 8-9 minutes per side. It yeilds PERFECT chicken every time & have calcium from the yogurt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    here is a great cheap lunch recipe... take a boneless skinless chicken breast and pound it flat with a frying pan between a couple pieces of plastic wrap until it's about an inch thin... cook on a lightly lubed frying pan over medium high heat about 3-4 minutes each side... chop into strips and toss in BBQ sauce... place on a bun with Lettuce, Tomato, & Cheese and serve with cut carrot sticks or french fries and a cup of juice!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    try beenie weenies- You pop open a can of pork & beans, chop or slice weiners. put together and heat. Most kids like this. Serve with crackers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Canned chicken, frozen broccoli, and cream of broc. soup. Cook the broc. just till fork tender. mix the soup with 1/2 can of milk. put the broc into an oven safe dish, chicken on top of that, then pour the soup over it. Bake at 375, 35-45 mins. When it comes out I put shredded cheese on top. My kids love it!