Are PS1 and PS2 games compatible with the PS3 console?

Feb 8, 2009
i heard that you could only play ps3 games on the ps3... that's why i ended up buyin an xbox 360 instead of it. but i also heard that some ps3s are compatible, but it's the much more expensive ones or something like that...sucks.

The Older Ps3's Play Ps2 Game's Not The New One's...........360's Suck Ball'z!!...so 360 Fanboy's Get The Fuck Out Of Ps3 Area!!..now Im Going To The 360 Area And Gonna Bs Them.

depends on wat gb u get. the 60 80 and 160gb all play ps1 and ps2 games. but with gh if you want to use the gutair ull have to bye one for the ps3 itself. but dont get a 20 or 40gb if u want to play ur ps1 and ps2 games on it.

dragonman is correct, all others just fail. sorry to be blunt about this.
i would add that even the very first few models of the 40 giggers also played both ps1 and 2 games. good luck finding any of it though.

i suppose its technically possible to flash an older bios on a newer model to gain that functionality, but i wouldnt bet on having a working ps3 after that.

I'm thinking of buying the playstation 3 console and I'm wondering if I can play my playstation 2 games on it. I have the guitar hero games on PS2... But the world tour one was really slow on PS2... Can I play it with the PS3?

Im sorry. But no you simply just cant play ps1 or ps2 games on the ps3. Ive tried. Its software is new, and much more complicated.

The Older Ps3's Play Ps2 Game's Not The New One's...........360's Suck Ball'z!!...so 360 Fanboy's Get The Fuck Out Of Ps3 Area!!..now Im Going To The 360 Area And Gonna Bs Them.

dragonman is correct, all others just fail. sorry to be blunt about this.
i would add that even the very first few models of the 40 giggers also played both ps1 and 2 games. good luck finding any of it though.

i suppose its technically possible to flash an older bios on a newer model to gain that functionality, but i wouldnt bet on having a working ps3 after that.

yes, very easily

but you require an adapter to plug in your memory cards

happy gaming!

The original PS3 that came out was compatible with them, but they started having problems.

If you didn't get a PS3 in the first few months it came out, it is NOT compatible.

I think so,

But personaly i would sell the PS3 as I dont want a house fire! :)

Get a 360 much better- and cheaper

:)

The original PS3 that came out was compatible with them, but they started having problems.

If you didn't get a PS3 in the first few months it came out, it is NOT compatible.

yes, very easily

but you require an adapter to plug in your memory cards

happy gaming!

i can't believe this question is still alive... if you are jus buying it now as brand new, nope you can't. Backwards compatibility has been discontinued since Aug 2008. But if you still want one, you have to buy pre-owned at ebay or gamestop. Look fo 80GB model CECHE01 or 60GB, The latest 80GB does not play PS2 games.

i can't believe this question is still alive... if you are jus buying it now as brand new, nope you can't. Backwards compatibility has been discontinued since Aug 2008. But if you still want one, you have to buy pre-owned at ebay or gamestop. Look fo 80GB model CECHE01 or 60GB, The latest 80GB does not play PS2 games.

Back