I am upside on my car and it needs a repair that's worth more than the car.?

jcmark4501

Apr 2, 2009
I have a car that's in need of $3000 in repairs (cadillidic converter failed) but it's barely worth $3500 and I owe $6,000 on the car. What can I do? I don't want to spend more money on the car than it is worth.

What year is the car? The manufacturer HAS to replace ANY emission related part for 8 years or 80,000 miles. This is mandated by the US government. Oh and an aftermarket cat is about $150.00 at any muffler shop.

Three grand for a catalytic converter is a rip off. Depending on what kind of car it is, you can get a new one installed at Meineke or Midas for $500 or so.

What kind of car is it? If all you need is a cat buy an aftermarket one for $100 from summit or something and go to some random repair garage and have them weld it on there. Should cost you under $500

I'm not sure what all your car needs,but a cadillidic converter doesn't cost aqll that much to replace, you should be able to have one replaced &installed for around $400.00, bucks, Lets say you need new 02 sensors as well , whats that about $200.00 bucks.Ibelieve you should be able to get your car up & runnings for under $1000.00 dollars.

have you checked with the dealership to see if it is under warranty? You don't have to have purchased the vehicle from the dealership in order to have them fix it. You can also bypass the cat if needed. It's not necessary for the vehicle to run.

I'm not sure what all your car needs,but a cadillidic converter doesn't cost aqll that much to replace, you should be able to have one replaced &installed for around $400.00, bucks, Lets say you need new 02 sensors as well , whats that about $200.00 bucks.Ibelieve you should be able to get your car up & runnings for under $1000.00 dollars.

Back