Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    artman

Blu-ray won! What will you do with your now obsolete HD DVD?

What will you do with your HD DVD machine?

And, do you think there should be a law to avoid "format wars" that leave thousands of consumers with useless machines (and you can be sure they wont get their money back).?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080219/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_toshiba

Captain Moroni
    I cant see anything that shows a definitive victory to Blu-Ray. Do you have a link you could post?

Edit: Wow. And to think i was about to go out and buy a HD-DVD drive for my Xbox 360!!

There should be some form of consumer law regarding obsolete technologies due to format wars but how on Earth would you police it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only reason we were so interested in DVDs when they first came out was because our VCRs were trouble (eating tapes, staticy,bulky,not clear, We still dont know how to get VCRs to stop flashing 12:00am)!!! Blu-ray and HD-dvd both were not "AHEAD ENOUGH" of its time for anyone to get excited about. Someone wake me when sony and toshiba is having a holo-deck/Matrix/"x-men's" Danger Room format battle! Until then I'll still play my xbox360 (without BLU-RAY) I'll buy a PS3 when they show me something (besides playing Blu-ray movies) that it can do that my XBOX360 cannot do. And I'll continue to watch my collection of thousands of regular ole DVD movies when Im ready to watch something like SAW 4! who's with me?
    Soo sony does win! but not because of why you think..Sony wins because they have you guys believing that you are on the "CUTTING EDGE" you are not! all those companies want you to do is dish out another $300-$400 every year while they ration out technology to you! open your eyes and realize that we are in the year 2008!!!!! our text books said cars would fly by now!!!! whats the freaking hold up? What exactly does PS3 win??? all the money?? you are cheering because a company who does not care about you (neither does microsoft by the way) gets to have more money for mediocre technology?? you guys are delusional!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only reason we were so interested in DVDs when they first came out was because our VCRs were trouble (eating tapes, staticy,bulky,not clear, We still dont know how to get VCRs to stop flashing 12:00am)!!! Blu-ray and HD-dvd both were not "AHEAD ENOUGH" of its time for anyone to get excited about. Someone wake me when sony and toshiba is having a holo-deck/Matrix/"x-men's" Danger Room format battle! Until then I'll still play my xbox360 (without BLU-RAY) I'll buy a PS3 when they show me something (besides playing Blu-ray movies) that it can do that my XBOX360 cannot do. And I'll continue to watch my collection of thousands of regular ole DVD movies when Im ready to watch something like SAW 4! who's with me?

Soo sony does win! but not because of why you think..Sony wins because they have you guys believing that you are on the "CUTTING EDGE" you are not! all those companies want you to do is dish out another $300-$400 every year while they ration out technology to you! open your eyes and realize that we are in the year 2008!!!!! our text books said cars would fly by now!!!! whats the freaking hold up? What exactly does PS3 win??? all the money?? you are cheering because a company who does not care about you (neither does microsoft by the way) gets to have more money for mediocre technology?? you guys are delusional!

adrianclay81882003
    Well, I never bought an HD-DVD player because I have a Playstation 3 and as we all know, the PS3 has a built in Blu-Ray drive, and I've only had Blu-Ray from the beginning.

Blu-Ray had been outselling HD-DVD for a while anyways, but Warner Bros. announcement to go Blu-Ray exclusive in May was most likely the finishing blow to HD-DVD.

Also, there weren't that many people that bought HD-DVD players. According to an article I read, there is just 1 million people in the U.S. that bought HD-DVD. They made the decision as to which format they would buy, so they shouldn't get their money back.