I'm turning 16 soon and my parents want to let me pick something relatively small in addition to the (currently unknown) gift they've chosen. The funny thing is that I have almost no clue as to what I want. There are plenty of things out there, but nothing pops out as being amazingly useful or otherwise cool. Ideally, I'd like to get something that won't break the bank (costs under $300), but is useful. It should be pretty unique too--no keychain photo albums.

Because this is a bit of an odd question, I've put it in two different formats below. The first uses lists to describe my buying habits, and the other one tries to describe the type of person I am. You can read one or the other and still be able to give a pretty good answer.
-----

If you could recommend something that fits in one of the following categories or something similar, please let me know:
portable gadgets like the Kindle, blogging, reading, making projects that involve music and/or graphics, eco-friendly ideas, money (really good investments), and advertising and marketing.

I'm either not interested in, not eligible for, or already have enough of things like a car, clothes, videogames, music and movies (like CDs and DVDs), temporary things like food or subscriptions, gift cards, furniture/decoration, cameras, phones, and MP3 players.
-----
If a description of behavior and personality works better for you, I'd say that even though most of my friends are higher on the "social food chain" at school, I'm a bit of a closet geek. While I don't participate in the robotics club or anything like that, I've bought high-end iPod docks, use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Renoise to make pictures, websites and music, and read a lot of books in my spare time. I used to run a relatively successful (around 50 hits per day) blog where I pointed out cool things and wrote guides to everyday tasks, but shut it down due to privacy concerns.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer in this decision. Sorry for this question being so long. I just want to make sure that I get the best answers possible.