Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Star-Scream

Will MIcrosoft have to convert to Blu-Ray since HD DVD lost the format war?

Every website I go to about the format wars basically says, Blu-Ray pwned HD DVD. So how does this affect Microsoft. Are they going to make Blu-Ray electronics?

kozzm0
    Yes HD-DVD is doomed as reports are Toshiba is finally giving up.

This doesn't mean Microsoft's format failed. Microsoft did not make HD-DVD, Toshiba did. Microsoft merely included the technology in one of their products.

Since that product will eventually become a novelty item, execs at Microsoft are probably secretly relieved that they sold hd-dvd as an add-on rather than a standard, internal feature. But that relief will be tempered by the dread of knowing that now they have nothing but 9gb dvd to use for games, compared to the standard 25gb blu-ray every ps3 game is on. Now that hd-dvd is dying, the xbox is in real trouble.

It is not primarily a question of whether Microsoft is going to start using Blu-Ray, it is a question of whether Sony will ever allow them to, and if so, how much will Microsoft have to pay for it. It will be a lot, no doubt about that, if it ever happens. And I don't see any reason for Sony to allow it, or any legal reason why they should have to. The victory of Blu-Ray was the linchpin of the ps3's market strategy, and Sony will play it for all it's worth. There's a lot of lost money to be remade.

BTW the reason Blu-Ray won is the same reason VHS beat Beta 25 years ago: more space.

>edit< Microsoft does not "make" optical media, they pay other people to make it for them. They can't use, let alone manufacture, blu-ray equipment without a license which they'll be lucky to ever get

Junior Member instant_classic23's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its the 21st century, they have 2.

Junior Member instant_classic23's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its the 21st century, they have 2.

guba2giba -OMAR =)
    no because blu ray is like 40 bucks a movie.
    and only white people buy that shit

quality, blu ray

smarter buy, HD

funksoulfx
    Endless MOVIE review websites claim that HD-DVD is far superior, and it is infact better in certain ways. I see these sites are not fanboy or linked to any consoles in any way. They are similar in image quality, but there are certain things like cost with HD-DVD which are better, and the way it is, "easier" to create the HD-DVD. Also, the storage is bull, it's cheaper to create a triple, even a QUAD-layer HD-DVD than a blu-ray. I honestly don't care because I don't own a HD-DVD player or a Blu-ray, I don't even have a HDTV!

But... since Blu-ray has the backing from many of the big dawgs and Toshiba has now pulled the plug on HD-DVD player developement, it's going to slide.

Microsoft WILL eventually made Blu-ray players. It's almost a garauntee. But when? Who knows? But the time will eventually come round.

Microsoft will not cling on to a dying format. It'd cost them money. Why would Microsoft do that, when they're so rich assed, they'll just go down with Blu-ray anyway.

FX