...lights wont work, dash lights do? 2003 Civic LX

So I installed my Pioneer headunit into my car and reconnected everything and all was fine, until I got in my car and noticed that the rear defrost light wasn't lit up like the A/C and the air circulation lights were... so I took the panel back out, unplugged the 4 cords (HVAC, emergency lights, etc.) and replugged everything back in... no luck. The battery seemed to be draining and before I knew it the car wouldn't start. Today I realized that my brake lights and side marker lights wont come on when I have my lights turned to the on position. To add insult to injury, none of the lights on my radio/HVAC console are working now (my dash lights and interior lights are though).

Checked the fuses and they all seemed fine, and reinstalled the original CD player to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. Is there any specific fuse I should check that I might not have?

ALSO...the wire harness I bought had a couple extra wires (orange) that weren't used... any connection there ?

Anyone got any suggestions on what I can do to fix this mess? It would be very much appreciated.