"I love rap, but I'm tired of defending it."?

Dec 26, 2008
As Chris Rock said.

I too love rap music, but I'm constantly getting stick off my friends for liking it. Most of my friends are into alternative music. I like that music too, but I also am a big fan of hip-hop. My friends can't seem to get it at all. They're constantly asking me why I like it, they accuse it of being "shallow" and "trivial" and say that the lyrics have "no depth or meaning" and that rappers are all "mysoginistic". I always try to make a case for all my favourite rappers. I concede that some rap music is not good and is a terrible representation, but I love Nas and the Wu-Tang Clan and I'm tired of having to constantly come up with reasons as to why they are good. The biggest issue with my friends is the treatment of women in rap music. However, I don't take that kind of rap seriosuly. I am a woman and I'm not offended by those songs that are sexist, because at the end of the day it's just a song.

Help would be appreciated guys. What should I say to my friends next time they ask me to explain myself? Should I just ignore them? If they don't get it now, they never will. I just kinda feel like they're trying to stop me liking rap music for some reason. I'm sick of having to make a case!!

Does anybody else get this kind of flack off their friends? What do you say when you do?

Back